MIL Have a good job, considering joining reserves. Need input.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jcgodfrey, Nov 13, 2008.

1. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

The title says it all...

I'm a police officer in Kansas City's fine inner city (sarcasm). Been on for a couple of years and I love the job, so I'm not looking for a replacement job. I've done the whole college gig and have the degree too (for what it's worth).

Have always wanted to join the military, and in fact when I joined the PD I took the ASVAB and almost joined the military. Got a 97 on my ASVAB so I did fairly well.

My top choice is Marines; I enjoy being down in the mud, AND a lot of my police friends are Marines. There is just a certain pride about them that I don't see in others. I don't need the nicest facilities or the best of what the military has to offer in that respect.

Those of you in the reserves, can you provide me with some pluses and minuses? I'm not doing it for money; it will cut into my off-duty gigs considerably and I'll actually lose money doing it, for a while. It's just something I've always wanted to do.

Please, no BS about being a weekend warrior or anything :) Keep it constructive. I'm wanting to know why some say "you're crazy" and why some say "go for it".

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

As long as you are willing and ready to deploy then I don't see any problems?

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I'm trying to leave the Marines to get into your current job. :o

None the less good luck with what ever you decide to do. :bigthumb:

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Realize that you may be deployed, perhaps as soon as you join your Reserve Unit. But yeah, I can understand what you mean by Pride, etc...

Have you talked to your coworkers about this ?? And what MOS are you considering ??

Oh, and you're a faggot for wanting to be a weekend warrior. :bigthumb:

5. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Yes, I realize I may be deployed. We have several officers that are reservists. Our department works with them VERY well. There isn't any complaining or arguing, only support for them.

I figure I can learn something, AND I've always wanted to serve my country. I know some will say I'm already serving, but for the most part, I would say outside of the Ebola virus we're one of the most hated things on the planet :)

As far as MOS, I'm not sure. Something that will benefit me in the long run. I'm not quite sure what the Marines offer as far as reserve. I've always wanted to be a pilot, but I don't think anyone but the Army or Natl. Guard offers opportunities for that.

I'd like to talk to a recruiter but I can't stand them, so I want my ducks in a row and I want to learn what I can prior to talking to them.

And to TRN: I know my department LOVES prior military. It's fun out here...we have lots of action. 112 homicides so far this year alone...there isn't a shortage of badness. It all depends on what you want from being a police officer. I enjoy the car chases, the foot chases, catching real bad guys. I love the fact that I'll never write a speeding ticket for my entire career (no radar). It's beautiful.

6. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Most of my coworkers say this: They're SUPER glad they were in the Marines. Super proud of their service. That being said, they also say they wouldn't go back. They didn't hate it, but life changes and they just wouldn't do it...especially given the high risk - high stress job they have already.

7. WildBull

WildBull Guest

My personal opinion is that you should have went USMC then police, like everyone else. Reserves suck in the fact that it ruins your whole month. Then you get deployed, have to deal with mental issues, then come back only to get things back into motion only to deploy again. If you're good at your job now and enjoy it, keep it that way. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Sounds like you want to go the officer path. A true Marine is a enlisted Marine ;) I don't have that much respect for o-type.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  8. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Wildbull - I respect your opinion, but I can't look back and say shoulda woulda coulda...know what I mean? I can do the best with what I'm given. The fact is, I really enjoy my job I have now. I'm very good at it.

Mental issues? I 'think' I have an idea of what you're talking about. As far as seeing dead people, I've seen many at my current job. Shot in the head, beaten, stabbed, cut in half by cars as they crossed the street, jumpers...however one can die I've probably already seen it. I've given CPR to dying people with a crowd of crazy ass lowlifes around, I've tried saving people. Hell, I even saw a 31 year old bake himself in a car after passing out in the driver seat on a hot day (108 core temperature. Craziest thing!!!) Have I seen a friend die? No. So while I've seen a lot, I'm sure there are other things that I'd have to deal with.

I don't really care officer vs. enlisted. I know all about how enlisted hate officers that come fresh out of college not knowing jack $hit. I understand that. I was probably looking to go enlisted.

Like I said, I'm not doing this for the money. I can make more money working my PD job, and working off duty on my days off (usually about $30-35 an hour) than I can being a reservist. To me it's more about the pride and having said I've done it. Like I tell my friends, I live my life the way I want to. I don't want to look back 30 years from now and say 'damn, I wish I had tried the military and served like I thought about'...

9. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

I started off Marine Corps and then changed to the Army National Guard. I don't regret either choice. I was also a Patrolman in Craven Country NC for awhile.

Pros....the pros of joining the Marine Corps reserves is just what you are looking for. The honor of earning the title Marine. It is something that will never leaves you.

It can't be inherited, nor can it ever be purcahsed. You or no on alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent, and it can not be lent. You alone and on our own have earned it with blood, sweat, and lives. Once you own it, you own it forever.

The title "United States Marine"

Cons - You will sometimes become upset with regards to your level of training and the gear you receive to conduct that training. Also the respect that your receive from your active duty counter parts will be something that takes time to deal with. They see you as "weekend warriors". Though this is changing. 35% of the troops in OEF/OIF are Guard/Reserves. It is not as diciplined (especially in the Army)...

The G.I. Bill does not offer as much as the active duty bill.

I'll tell you this, the first time you put on a pair of dress blues, you will know it was worth it. Military Service is what you make it. The government is going to get its pound of flesh, you need to ensure that you get some as well.

Parris

10. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

im a uni student and the reserves are processing my application currently. i dont have a good job, life is just mundane and routine (sleep eat work sleep). i see it as a possible step towards a full time career, since ill be training as an officer

11. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

don't mean to hijack or derail. but i have a couple questions for the guys posting...

1. reserves to active duty - is it possible? say I enlist into the reserves, do my training, and begin my time as a reservist...and 6 months later, I decide I want to go AD...can I?

2. enlisted to officer - I'm a college grad and am considering joining up, however, it is a possibility that I would make it a career. I feel like if I want to be the best possible officer I can be, that I should enlist, and then put in my package to OCS. how long would I be required to be in the enlisted ranks before putting in for OCS or WOCS?

(mods, go ahead and make this a new thread if need be)

TIA

12. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

im positive you can switch from reserves to AD, and depending on whether youve completed a minimum period of service (assuming you were in AD to start with) you can even switch the other way (from AD to Res)

im not sure what enlistment procedures are for the united states. basically ill tell you what ive done. first i applied online for a YOU session at my local recruitment office in the city, and they set up a date for me. i went along and there was about 30 other people there. everyone filled out forms and stuff then took a aptitude test, to find out what everyone was eligible for. i was eligible for all possible jobs. after that, i had a short interview with an officer who discussed things like what would happen further up the track, and what documents i needed to bring in for verification purposes (such as my birth cirt. and school reports for officer eligibility). since i brought those in, my application has been processed to an assessment session, which contains a full medical and an interview with a panel to determine my motivation, and see how proactive ive been about finding information about my chosen job (they want to see your actually interested and knowledgeable about the role im applying for). after that i get confirmed as a successful applicant and get shipped over state for basic training, (which non officers complete for rank of private) then over 18 months, complete 5 officer-specific modules focussing on leadership and command.

take all this on face value, american enlistment processes might (probably are) entirely different. by the way, im still a student and not a graduate at university so you shouldnt have any problem at all unless you fail physchological testing or physical

13. signal

signal New Member

I am an Army National Guardsman currently deployed overseas. On the civilian side I was working as a Correctional Officer. My transition from civilian to active-duty wasn't bad at all and I have a career to come back to when my duty is done. Guard deployments are shorter and less frequent--My unit deployed in 2004-2005 and now again 3 years later. Figure out how 'HOOAH' you want to get and go from there. The guard gives you something different to do one weekend a month, and includes a deployment or two as well.