Have a computer problem: thinks it's related to ...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Memory but hear me out.

I swapped motherboards between my server and desktop. Just the motherboard. All the components stayed with their respectable computer.

The server went together without a hitch. The workstation (desktop) however didn't.

First thing that happened was when I pulled the heat-sink off (big heat-sink) I bent the 7 or 8 pins on the CPU because the heat-sink pulled out the cpu and I didn't un-clip the cpu first (lesson leaned) that I painstakingly bent back.

Next: I boot up the workstation and It reboots as soon as it goes into windows. I pulled a stick of ram and it went into windows but then rebooted again after 20-30 seconds. I'd assume it was a heat problem but when I put the thermal compound on there I didn't put too much and the heat-sink is firmly attached.

I'm about to go pull it again and re-apply artic silver but in lue of that does anyone have an idea what it could be?

The reason I think It might be memory related is the memory I've had problems with before. This is a 3mth old set that was RMA'd. It is G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2gbhz DDRII 1 gb. PC2-6400
    CL4-4-4-12 2.0v-2.1v

This motherboard is not very configurable and asus site is taking forever to load (literally still loading after 5 minutes) for me to look at the specs ( ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX Motherboard ) but I figure if the ram was recognized it would work. Maybe it's undervolted?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Since you switched motherboards I'm assuming the RAM is compatible with each mobo. Try using the other set of RAM.

Since you bent pins and then bent them back, maybe they aren't bent back perfectly and the heatsink isn't sitting right on the CPU?

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Taking the heatsink off it looks like it is making contact around the edges but not in the middle. Not sure about the reason for this. It's the same mount on each motherboard. I put the cpu in and it slotted in fine. no resistance at all.

I'm going to try mounting the stock heatsink but need to take the entire computer apart to do that. It'll wait till tomorrow.

In bios it was running at Core 1: 38 Core 2: 31 way high.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Still happening. Hmmm...