A&P hate to do it but.... which cam 300D or D70

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Mar 23, 2004.

1. redna

redna New Member

Okay, so i did all this research on the 300d and now Nikon has to throw this D70 in my face... I looked at the comparison on dpreview and the D70 looks like it will be worth the extra 100 bucks but my big question is now who makes cheaper lenses/better quality? By buying the D70 am i doomed to buying X brand lense which will cost me a fortune or what...

Opinions please.

2. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

You can by cheaper lenses for either camera manufactured by SIGMA for example, they make lenses with mounts for both cameras. but Nikon > *.* in my opinion and this certainly holds truth with regards to the 300D, you can't even compare them...

First and for most the D70 is Manual and 300D is not.

3. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Meh. It's a toss up, play with both at the store, and see which one you prefer.

The Canon one comes with an "ok" lens at $999 the Nikon one is body only at that price. I think the 300d can be had for even less, as it's been out longer.

The D70 is definately a better body than the 300d, but I think the Canon System > Nikon System, and make no mistake, you are buying into a system, unless you are just going to only ever have one lens, which would defeat the purpose of owning a DSLR.

In the end you really can't go wrong with either.

4. Nikon D100

Nikon D100 Guest

It depends. The Canon telephoto lens are highly regarded, since a majority of them have IS (image stabilizer) and USM (Ultra Sonic Motor) mechanisms. In the wide end, Nikon has a great range of wide angle lenses. Many event, paparazzi and wedding photographers use Nikon and Nikon lenses.

Canon brand lenses are generally cheaper, but Nikon lenses are almost legendary in quality.

5. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

both bodies are great... it comes down to personal choice and lens selection. imho i think canons ergonomics are better and they have a wider, more vast, more affordable range of lenses from ef thru L sereies... you def pay a premium for nikkor glass compared to canon

6. Nikon D100

Nikon D100 Guest

That's funny, because I think Nikon ergonomics are better and so is the Nikon camera layout. Nikons are much easier to work with in the field as opposed to the way Canons are laid out (I prefer the Nikon "game" style pad, opposed to the Canon scroll wheel). Canon lenses are cheaper and have more lenses with USM and IS, which I really think is great. Nikon has some excellent lenses in it's line-up, though they need to make more VR lenses. I also think Nikons handle skin tone better, but neither Nikon or Canon can beat Fuji DSLR colors.

7. redna

redna New Member

Argh.. well i guess i will just have to go play with both of them today in the camera store.

I think i am leaning a little more toward the Nikon just because of a few features that i really like that the Canon doesnt have. (higher fps with a bigger buffer and a "very fast" shutter release)

damn... decisions decisions

8. sony

sony Active Member

Are you going to be shooting sports? Let us not forget the Canon has smoother silkier images. The CMOS has less noise, so for more practical uses, your images should look a lot better. The "Canon"-look.

Burst is cool, but I only use it when I'm at the track. Even then, my first shot is usually in focus, then the rest are throw aways, so I mean.. take your pick. :)

9. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Actually, it has something to do with the fact that Canon has put amps at each photosite, to reduce noise.

I think Nikon has done something similar, with LBCAST chip used in the d2h.

V

10. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

WTF mate?

11. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:mamoru: :mamoru:

[​IMG]

12. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I love the ad Canon runs with Agasi holding up a trophey and a TON of canon glass poping out at him. Looks pretty similar to the photo above. I'll have to scan it if I run across it.

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, I am getting the D70 myself...

I almost brought the 300D when it first came out, didn't expect the D70 to be a better camera. What was really holding me back was the Sony 828. I was looking at only DSLRs, was hoping that the 828 would have good video capability.

So, finally got to play around with the 828. The picture quality is just not there, pretty noisy. Also no mic in, for video, build-in mic is useless. So, I guess it's gonna be a while til I can good video/photo from just one cam.

The reason why I pick D70 over 300D:

1. Spec wise, D70 is a bit better overall.

2. The body of 300D makes me puke. The color makes it look toyish, and the grip doesn't feel as good as the D70.

3. At my local store, the D70 is bundled with the new 18-70mm lens, which is WAY BETTER than the lens bundled with 300D.

So, after all, I am willing to pay extra for the D70.

14. redna

redna New Member