Hate to ask, but another squat question.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by texchef, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texchef

texchef Guest

I need some real advice from the F&N vets. I read all 3 pages after seaching for "squats" in the title but I'm still not sure where to start.

Form- I think I can figure that one out after getting the motion down.

Spotter- Not gonna happen. I go to LA Fitness and I NEVER see guys use the squat rack for it's intended use. Plus I workout alone. I prefer it that way.

Starting weight- This is where I need some serious advice as to where to start. Do I automatically try and squat body weight? Do I go half body weight? I leg press 270. Does that weight determin squat starting weight?

My biggest question is how did you guys overcome starting squats for the first time? For some reason adding this to my routine scares me. Call me a pussy for being scared but I don't wanna hurt myself and I have seen way too many vids here of injuries.

2. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

I was a little intimidated by squats at first. Start w/ 100lbs on the squat machine with the track to guide you a bit. Get up to 10 reps for 4 sets then switch to the cage.

3. Ferrous

Ferrous New Member

Start with the bar and go up from there...

If you're a dude you can probably handle 135 (45lb plate on each side) for a few reps.

4. texchef

texchef Guest

Are you taking about the Smith Machine? If so every post I read said stay away from it because it promoted bad form.

5. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

he can only leg press 270 so im doubting he can do 135 with good form/depth. its a tough one dude without coaching. try this http://www.elitefts.com/documents/teaching_the_squat1.htm . squatting by yourself is all guess work as far as your form and stuff goes.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah dont bother. smith squat and free bar are pretty much nothing alike besides youre going up and down and using your legs but on a smith its usually in all the wrong ways

7. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

unrack bar

arch upper an lower back

take a stance shoulder width apart, go out if need be

drive your head into the bar, if you where wearing a baseball cap backwards the bill would touch the bar

belly full of air, sit back
    (best way to describe this would be get in an athletic stance)
    If you don't understand what an athletic stance is, put your fist in your hands and rest your elbows/fore arms on your thighs, this position naturally has a person sitting back.

from there continue sitting down and back

hit parallel/bellow push knees out

your hips should be the first thing that moves, but you may not understand how to acomplish this, so another way of putting thsi would eb to lead wiht the head.

8. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

About a spotter: just go down and shrug it off your back while you're in the squat cage. Makes a little bit of a noise and sometimes people come running up to see if you are okay but that's allright :)

9. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

Like others have said, start with the bar only until you get comfortable with the movement and your form. Then slowly add weight and go from there. Not much can go wrong if you are just using the bar.

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

start with BODYWEIGHT, then the bar.....watch this video over and over

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

11. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

:dunno: I was in his position 3 yrs ago. The smith machine helped build up my confidence before I started regular squats. I can see how that might promote bad form, but I didn't have any problems transitioning from one to the other.

12. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

13. Soupy

Soupy "What is comforting and what is true are two entir OT Supporter

Noob squater here too :wavey: I'm female, and read this chick's info on squats, which all focuses on ATG. http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

I know there is debate about what depth is best (or least bad, I guess) for your knees, and I've seen posts in here saying some of you alternate between ATG and slightly below parallel. Opinions on this?

14. MrInconsistant

MrInconsistant New Member

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

As a woman, if you want the ass, a2g is the way to go. Single-leg squats are even better assmakers.

16. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

im going squatting @ la fitness today :wavey: which one do u go to? the one on preston/george bush?

17. texchef

texchef Guest

I go to the one at Coit and 190.

18. Shift_

Shift_ New Member

my gym doesn't have a free bar squat cage all they have are smith machines and that's what i use for squats. what do you mean that it work the legs all in the wrong way? i cant remember the last time i used a free bar for squats, but i seem to get a good work out using the smith

19. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Step 1
    Ignore sleev
    Step 2
    Start with the bar and keep adding weight, as much as you can think you do

20. spdrcr

spdrcr OT Supporter

Just start in a cage with a bare bar. It'll help you get the movements down and with no weight/low weight there shouldn't be any problems. It will help enforce using good form and assist with balancing the bar, neither of which you will get in a smith machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.