MMA Has the MMA scene reached a stable multi-promotional model?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZSPTurbo, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

If everyone stopped fighting so viciously, and accepted their roles, the current scene seems sustainable:

The Tournament League - Bellator (should allow cross-promotional entry, with fighters being "sponsored" by their promotion, ala GSP wearing a UFC bannana hammock to prove the UFC is the best when he rubs his balls in a strikeforce champions face)

The Mainstream League - UFC/WEC (UFC will theoretically feature 265, 225, 205, 185, and 170 pound divisions. WEC will be 155, 145, 135, and 125.)

The "Eclectic" Leagues - Strikeforce and Dream

we've all seen sengoku getting progressively "smaller" and while I really appreciate their attitude and style of matchmaking, we all know they wont be a big league promotion much longer, relegated to generating up-and-comers for the big shows

2. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

3. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Don't think so, and I doubt even the UFC/WEC would be split like that.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

5. momentum

momentum CAN'T STOP THIS SON!

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

nope.

UFC holds such a strangle hold on the MMA world why the hell would they cross promote with other orgs unless they completely bent them over.
    and if that was the case, why would the other org do it if the ufc was gonna pocket all the cash.

nope, that would be like the NFL playing the USFL or XFL. of course not

besides, Dana learned a lesson when he brought Chuck to pride to fight Rampage.

that shit won't happen

The UFC will continue using the WEC for low weight classes probably

other orgs will exist and pop up and die off here and there, but nothing major from the looks of shit.

7. edward_cullen

edward_cullen Unemployed Since 08

I don't fully understand the question you are asking, but I will answer it the way I have taken it.

Every organization is second rate to the UFC, and will never amount to shit in terms of popularity and recognition in the MMA world.

You can't build an organization off of B level UFC dropout fighters and expect to be taken seriously. They are what they are, a safe haven for fighters that have tried and failed to hang with the big boys in the sport. Think of it this way, Strikeforce is like a toilet bowl where the UFC shits out what it doesn't need anymore.

Don't even get me started on Dream and Sengoku. Japanese fighters, with the exception of Thunder and Sexyama, have no business competing on a global scale. They need to stay where they are and fight against each other and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist..

8. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

you guys are too focused on the present picture, you're ignoring momentum. Bellator has a legit business model, and if you've heard bjorn rebney talk, you know he's on his game. As far as Japanese MMA, I agree the fighters are second rate, but the cultural value makes it a hotbed. The MMA scene in japan will rebound, and if they manage to keep the UFC out then there will be a big japanese show. Strikeforce is definately showing it's cracks, but with a strong middleweight division, legit LW champ, and a very interesting HW division, they have the ability to keep it together if they fix their matchmaking style. They need to make their own names instead of just scavenging from the MMA scene. YES the UFC is growing and will become the global #1 MMA brand. But they will not ever be the only major fighting organization.

The Zuffa management has spoken before about wanting the UFC and WEC to have more parity, but acknowledged that since there is usually more interest in the heavier weight classes, it will never get past 60/40.

And as far as cross promotion... I dont expect UFC to put on shows with M-1, but it isn't unreasonable for them to enter fighters to tournaments. When Dana sent Chuck to Japan for the legendary 2005 LHW tournament, he expected to get something in return (like the Dream/Strikeforce arrangement now) but the japs screwed him. He is willing to enter fighters in tournaments, he just doesn't trust the Japanese, and he doesnt want to meet the extreme cross-promotional demands of M-1. He knows that if he puts GSP in a real world-wide tournament (super street fighter II style nukka!) with "UFC" on his ass, and GSP runs rampant over everyone else, its the best PR he can get.

9. Julez

Julez Active Member

Does the Japanese organization DEEP still exist?