has the internet become useless?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ds3, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ds3

ds3 Guest

it seems harder and harder these days to find any real good technical documentation. I'm trying to find a good white paper on gigabit ethernet auto negotiation and i have found one thats decent but it took forever to manage my way through piles of simplistic junk.

anyone else find this or is it just me?

i still say for technical documentation a good university library outperforms the net.

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

depends where you search and what methods you search and how good you are with digging up shit...

I have never had a problem finding anything on the net...

3. ds3

ds3 Guest

heres a question for the americans out there; tell me you don't really pronounce Routers "Rooters"

4. MP

MP New Member

I don't think it's even close. In fact I think the internet is only at about 5% of it full potential. The problem is getting all the information to the people who want to use it as knowledge. All be-it, it is getting better....but it still needs work.

5. MP

MP New Member

I say it as "rout-er" no rooter

6. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Yup..thanks to AOL, the internet became 'cool' and now everyone and their mom has basically wiped their ass with it. Too bad. :\

7. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

8. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

There's plenty of good info out there. But for every good site/article, there are 20 shite ones. You just have to filter through all the crap.

What's everyones favourite search engine at the mo?

9. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

This kid when I was in HS taking Cisco. Pronounced it Router "Rooter" my teacher would correct him everytime :wtf:

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I think you have us confused with canadians.

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I thought Canadians were the ones that called them rooters. :dunno:

12. :uh:

as long as you know how to use Google you can get PLENTY of awesome top-level information about damn near anything. learn to search properly and you won't be "wading through simplistic junk."

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Nah, it's not useless. It's just cluttered and the lack of a good indexer for what one exactly needs.

The stuff is out there, just a pain at times to find it.

Can you not contact the vender of the gigE card? Sun was more than happy to give me an updated white paper for their GigaBit Ethernet 2.0 and GigaSwift Ethernet cards for tuning my environments.

-crontab -l

14. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

top-level? Do you mean high-level or low-level? High-level information is useless, it's more for managers and salesmen gibberish.

Low-level info is harder to find and harder to get a hold of. Well, useful stuff that is.

For instance. Can you google up the value of scsi_probe_delay in my /kernel/drv/fca-pci.conf file for my JNIC 1063 in my e420R so that the fiber SAN devices are present when it boots up for vxfs v3.4 to check? I couldn't find it from google.

-crontab -l

15. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

just search usenet/newsgroup posings. you can find just about anything if you know where to look

16. ds3

ds3 Guest

i havent ever heard anyone up here say that :shrug:

and i was able to find exactly what i was looking for (surprisingly enough in a white paper by dell) and i found a bunch of other stuff i was interested in after downloading the entire 802.3 documentation standard from the IEEE.

I know all that stuff is still out there, it just seems harder these days. But then again maybe thats just cause as i've gotten older i no longer search for g.i. joes and autobots and instead am looking up GigE auto negotiation protocols.

17. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Paper Route: root
    Hub/Router Combo: rowter (well close - not quite)
    News agency Reuters: rooters

As for the original question - I don't think a lot of the in depth tech stuff is easily found anymore. Sure for the majority of the questions posed on here, you can find it on google, but most of my questions on here go unanswered and for the most part, that's after I've looked through Google. I think all of you people who think it's easy if you know how to search should volunteer your "superior" efforts in finding out information - cron has a good example - I have another if you're up to the challenge.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  18. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I call it router. Maybe the rednecks call it rooter :dunno:

And I call Reuters "roiters" but maybe I'm mispronouncing it.

19. kevinj

kevinj Guest

The internet can be an information overload, with your average search engine returning around minimal to nothing about what your looking for unless you know a few tricks, using search engines.

I don't really have a problem, i always manage to find what i want. Theres a few books out there, which help you achieve a search engines full potential, one that springs to mind is hacking google - i can't remember the author tho.

20. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

One thing I thought about for finding useful low-level info. Most of this information isn't in html format or a format in which current search engines can index.

About 99.9% of the info I find useful is on pdf or ps. So unless I know the exact title of this document, I will never be able to find it by google searching for stuff that is in the document.

Unfortunately.

21. Penguin Man

AltaVista indexes PDF's.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

All of 'em? Who initiates it? Altavista or the provider?

23. Penguin Man

Not sure how they decide which ones to index or anything, but I know I've done searches that pop up PDF results.

24. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

From content within the pdf?

25. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah - google does it all the time. Not saying it indexes all the pdfs out there but I've returned some results with pdf files - and not just titles either - very specific phrases inside the document.