Has lifting cost you friendships?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by deznutz, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I am a junior/senior in college and it seems the only things people want to do around here is drink and smoke...

Pretty much all of my "friends" out here go to the bars every night or party. I just dont feel the need for it anymore. I am more concerned with my nutrition/diet, my lifting schedule, my sleep patterns...
    All the people that go out and party/bars are out till 2 am, i am usually in bed by 11-12.
    I just feel uncomfortable not drinking if i go, just how i am.
    One of my friends said... "you only want to hang out when you want to, or have time"...but all this friend does is drink and smoke... :ugh: i dont want to be around for that.

I dont know about you guys, but it has cost me a few friends, and it just seems to get worse... :wtc:

2. TZ

TZ Banned

i just go out anyways, i dont really notice it effecting me at all. then again, i'm not getting plastered... i just chill with a few beers :hs:

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

no, but i get hammered on the regular

4. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

just make friends at the gym like i did- and party with them.

5. Mippity

Mippity New Member

If you have friends based on smoking or anything like that ... if you quit you will likely lose those friends. I'm guessing the friendship was once based on smoking/drinking ?

6. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

whiskey is my friend.

fuck man, i'm 19. why do i drink this all the time?

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Yes. Twice I didn't spot people properly on the bench and barbell guillotined them.:wtc:

8. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Already has. Had girls tell me shit like "I don't want to go out to eat with you because you'll get a salad." .... "You spend all of your time in the gym."

Drinking is fuckin' terrible the body, I'll smoke some green occasionally.

9. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Not really, once people turn 21, they all go to the bars every day
    although, most of my friends smoke/drink,

for the record, i dont drink...but i have

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I did 90% of my drinking before I turned 19. Once I turned 19, a month or two and I stopped drinking.

I'll still head out maybe once a month and drink, which leads to smoking, but it's irregularly.

11. Mass

Mass Active Member

shoo some of the guys I know through working out are door guys at a lot of bars downtown

12. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Definitely.
    My whole group of friends changed from Freshman year to Sophomore in college after I dropped all the weight and started lifting regularly.
    A lot of the people I used to drink with give me shit when we go out especially the girls. They chide me for ordering a chicken caesar salad when they all binge on ranch + pizza.
    :hsugh:

13. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Nope.. I still go out when I'm not drinking and have tons of fun with my friends. They know I stop drinking prior to my meets and respect it. Sounds like you just have shitty friendships based on boozing and smoking.

14. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

i;m drunk

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

yo ime met 3 new skeos toniget

16. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I have plenty of friends that I still hang out with when I was lifting 6 nights a week. I also made lots of friends at the gym. Since I've stopped going as often and stopped going at night I don't see the great friends I made at the gym. I can see it going either way though.

17. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

Is it bad I can understand drunk ceaze?

But seriously, I hardly hang with my other freinds anymore. All they wanta do is drink, and such . My life prioritys have changed. My friends from the gym are a very close net group, we all hang out every other day and on the weekends. Its hard to hangout with other people outside this group, we all understand we got specific diet requirments, can't stay out to late or we fail at training the next day, we all go to bars/clubs but don't drink, we have more intrests too. I dig it better.

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yeah I got into that at a point. When I started working out nightly I met a group of about 4 guys. Worked out with them and a couple others I got to know for like 3 years. Still hung out with my friends and drank on weekends (well usually just Saturday nights as I'd workout Friday and Sunday night). It was hard dealing with the gym guys that gave me shit all the time for still drinking (I was about 20, one was 17 and taking HGH, one was a +40 yr old power lifter doing 800lb dead lifts til he farked his hip, the other was a +40 police officer). My friends gave me crap for not hanging out with them as much as I use to. It was a hard balance. I'd stil be working out with them if I hadn't moved closer to another club and changed to working from home and working out in the morning. I guess it's really a matter of finding a balance between the two and not giving up your old friends as the gym guys will move on at some point too, your real friends will always be there if your good to them too.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

go to bars and clubs but don't drink? a couple shots of the juice once a week won't fuck you up, and maybe you'd pick up chicks easier or have a better time :dunno:

20. lump

lump New Member

And my major is some computer nerd degree, so all the people I know through that - if they don't drink/smoke, all they want to do is play WoW and beat off.

The gym has made me more friends than what I've lost.

21. rugger86

rugger86 New Member

Cost me a great relationship due to my undying obsession with my apperance at that time and the egotism that went along with it.

That was rough. Took a long time to enjoy the gym again and figure why I was really doing it.

22. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

Not really. Most of my friends are gym rats too. I do catch a lot of shit from people at work. They usually hit the bars after work 2-3 nights / week for a few hours and eat bar food. Fuck that.

23. Carnivale

Carnivale Guest

you are such a bitch

eat the pizza and wings

enjoy life

24. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

ban

25. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

we all do occasionally...

Thread Status: