has anyone used one of those Matrox multi monitor boxes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

its a one-into-two box so you can run dual monitors with only one vid output.

there's another company who makes the same thing but it's cheaper.

my questions for anyone who's used these. Right now i have 2 outputs and 2 monitors (17" 4:3 and 22" widescreen). i want a 3rd monitor (another 22") but i dont have any more video outputs. i was going to get a second vid card but i only have regular PCI slots and i couldnt find a compatible PCI vid card that worked with my AGP NVidia vid card. so:

- do these boxes have their own vid memory or do they borrow from the existing vid card's?

- do they support wide screen resolutions?

- how does Windows manage 3 monitors when one is being split thru a Matrox box but the vid card only has 2 outputs?

If i had a newer computer id get another PCI-E vid card and be done, but that's not an option with my current setup. i only have regular PCI slots, and theyre all full anyway. so i need something compatible with my AGP vid card.

thanks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i had one. it takes vga only. from your desktop you set one of your monitors with a resolution that stretches across both monitors. i had 2 20" monitors connected to a MacBook Pro, each running 1600x1200. so, the resolution the desktop saw was 2300x1200 and it wasn't aware that it was stretched across 2 monitors. this means that any pop-ups that landed in the middle of the screen ended up right on the split. it has no video memory. it just takes whatever image is sent and splits it across 2 screens.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

hmm so if you maximize a window on it then it will fill both cuz it thinks its one big monitor.

i dont think i like that.

Tritton Technologies (i think thats their name) also makes similar, cheaper product that i heard has its own vid memory. i emailed them but have been waiting to hear back.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's just a video signal... windows (and your video card) ceases to give a rats ass about it as soon as it leaves the box over the monitor cable.

Your question about video memory makes no sense.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

exactly. and like codex said, if this Tritton Tech box takes a signal from some sort of video out, it'll do the exact same thing.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

looks like Tritton makes a usb based one that gives you one extra monitor. if it supports widescreen, this may be exactly what im looking for!

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, that is different entirely. basically, a USB one would work as its own video card. i don't think you'll be able to use it for anything crazy like gaming though. i don't think USB has the bandwidth required.