GUN Has anyone used Gunkote, Duracoat etc?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4bangin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I bought a cheapo SKS that has a crappy finish. I'm wanting to try to coat it for practice. I was just wondering, how comparable is this stuff to paint? I do automotive paint for a living, so have plenty of experience with that. I was wondering if I could use an airbrush and add depth or other details to the stencils with duracoat or gunkote. I am wanting to just use one of their standard camo patterns, just didn't know how much you can work with this stuff.

Also, does anyone have photos or nicely done jobs? I've tried to search google and a few forums but havnt found anything beyond the basic.

2. What do you want to coat? Depending on what it is, something like AlumaHyde is an option. I've done an AlumaHyde II coating on a barrel recently, and other than slamming it into one of my reloading presses (twice) it's been pretty durable.

3. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

i know reman has done some pretty good work with his rifles

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I've used gunkote on an AK. worked great. I'm putting more coats on my next one though

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My Cerak-kote and controls are already looking fucked up, and I haven't even started yet with the horrors of nightly dryfire practice out of Kydex.

Shit's gay if you are expecting any abbrasion, but it's cheap and it protects against rust a little (all I care about)

6. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I've used Alumahyde II, it seems to be holding up great on my ak, even under the selector switch.

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

that's the only place my gunkote wore down a little. i don't care though

8. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I've duracoated a bunch of shit. It seems to be holding up just fine.

9. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

If you have an oven the ceramic coatings are supposed to be much better but they have to be baked.

The Duracoat stuff is easy, most guys just use the cheap HF airbrushes

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Your cerakote is already fucked up? Everyone I've seen with it say its tough as fuck.

11. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Cerakote is way, way tough.

I've had LCW Duracoat II on a shotgun for like 5 years now and it's only showing minimal wear on the edges.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Meh, color me not impressed. It's already wearing down on the safety where my thumb drags, as well as some wear from banging it into shit. I figured Todd probably sent the shit off wet, so I even waited a week before really playing with it.

I dunno, we'll see once I start the nightly kydex rapings. I'm kinda hard on stuff though, so most of that shit doesn't last long around here.

13. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Molyresin works very nicely, though you have to airbrush it.

14. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

The only complaint I had about the duracoat kit is the included propellant for the airbrush was garbage and did not work worth a shit. Once I hooked it up to my air compressor it worked great.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Like everything else it's all in the prep. We well I should say my boss duracoats all kinds of stuff. First it's best if you can sandblast the parts to prep them. If the suraface is really smooth it is hard to get anthing to adhear. I think next he gives everything a good cold blue as the base coat. then he sprays the duracoat. He uses the stencils you get from bownells and has done some good looking stuff. I keep bugging him to bring some guns in so we can take pics.

Oh after you spray bake them off. We use a small convection oven. It's not DLC/ionbond or black Ti but it's not a $300 - $800 coating either.