WEB Has anyone used a good translation service before?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TurkeyChicken, May 18, 2009.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I'm looking to get my site translated into a few key languages (Spanish, German, French).

I've tried having users of my site do the translating (a few are doing that... like I got one to translate it into italian), but i would like to get these done a little quicker.

If you've used any services in the past, please let me know about what they charge and what your thoughts of them are :cool:

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

sorry can't help you, but wow never thought of something like this before, good question

3. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Yeah, it's going to be a great way to get the site out to a much larger audience.

4. Pepsi1975

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Yeah, but i'd rather a native speaker do it. Those kinds of translations always fuck something up. I'd rather not have a translation up than have one that looks like engrish to someone in another country.

6. Pepsi1975

while that is true, you have no guarantees that the one translating it will make it perfect either

thats the problem with translating, it will never be 100% perfect

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Never rely on a translator application. Never. It will somehow translate a string that says "I went to the supermarket to buy fish" to something like "The superfish bought to the market".

I've built a couple multi-lingual sites. I can't exactly remember what service I used, but I remember each translation to be around $300. I was translating four different languages so it ended up being roughly $1200. I've also done it with e-cards targeting the middle-east. Price was roughly a bit more because apparently Farsi was a bitch to translate.

Nothing will ever be an exact mirror image compared to the English copy you give them. That's just because of the way the language flows. But they'll turn your copy into something that makes sense based off the message you're trying to deliver.

My advice is to search for something on the internet that has a lot of ground.