GUN Has anyone tried a handheld reloading press?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If so what'd you think? And did you try full length resizing of rifle brass? :big grin:

2. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

As cheap as the Lee Turret is why bother?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

small size, easy storage, no mounting...perfect for apartment dwellers :big grin:

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You can't make enough ammo with it to be worthwild. One of my squad mates had one to take to the range to work up loads. After a trip or two he retired it. It's just too much trouble to work up loads at the range when you consider all the other gear you needed such as a chrono.

If you live in an apartment you can get away with a dillon 550 and a very small bench. I used this setup for many years in my small apartment.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not nearly as high a volume shooter now as I'd like to be. 200 rounds of rifle and 200 rounds of pistol a month is really all I'll be looking for. The range is just too far and too expensive to shoot more than that right now. What ever it is needs to fold up and go under a bed or into the closet. I always hear people talking about sturdy, would one of those little folding benches work?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats why i bought the one I have, and after a couple uses i stuck it in a box somewhere and haven't seen it in 2 years. :o

7. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

You can set up a regular press on a little black & decker workmate

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If your needs are that small then I might consider a folding bench and a single stage press. You'll make better ammo. If you ever move to a bigger place, or later upgrade your press then you will still have use for your single stage for odd jobs, precision loads, pulling bullets etc.

I would not put a progressive press on a small folding bench because it would rock and your powder throws would be off. This would lead to inconsistent fps.

Once you start reloading you'll shoot more. It's like having a hot girlfriend and wanting to sex. Your guns are going to want to get down with all that sexy ammo

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You guys must have way better range choices than me, I can either pick from a mudhole 15 minutes away where I'm expected to buy their ammo, or spend $20 to get to a range a little over an hour away and then $20 an hour to shoot.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Quite possible. Despite what people think there are a ton of ranges in So Cal. I have a choice of 4 indoor ranges within 30 minutes and 6 outdoor ranges within an hour.

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:hs:

12. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Middle of the desert ftw... maybe 10 bucks in gas to drive there and back, 0 dollars an hour to shoot :bowdown: