MMA Has anyone taken private lessons?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by 4bangin, Jun 1, 2007.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I just signed up for 3 hours worth of private Muay Thai to give it a shot. I have never trained before but I decided to take a few private lessons to hopefully concentrate on my basics since I figure they will be the base of what I learn from there. He is also giving me one extra hour to teach me nutrition, yogo, balance and flexibility. Has anyone tried this before or did I pretty much just spend extra money for little? hah.

The trainer is Parviz Nikkhoo. Dr. Parviz Nikkhoo (BSc,MSc,PhD) is the founder and head instructor of Triple Boxing. Master Nikkhoo is a world renowned martial artist and boxing coach. Master Nikkhoo is a seventh-degree black belt with over forty years of experience in several styles of martial arts. He has a combined amateur record of 363-16-3 in boxing and Thai-boxing. His clients range from professional K1 kickboxing and Olympic athletes, celebrities, members of military, police force, Special Forces and Navy Seals to complete beginners, who wish to attain their highest goals and reach their personal best in their respected art. In the past, Master Nikkhoo has served as the national coach for Scotland and Kuwait. He is a life-time member of WHO-IS-WHO and potential inductee to martial arts Masters Hall of Fame.

2. tkluu

tkluu New Member

I just recently started, 3 classes in with an undefeated pro. It's great, and he gave me a really cheap price.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I think I'm going to start taking some private lessons for nogi grappling from one of our assistant insructors. It's $50 for 2 hours split however I want. I've done some boxing and mma stuff with him in the past so I know he is a good teacher. I really just want to focus on grappling alot while I'm cutting down about 20-25 lbs to hopefully get into 205 range in the next 6 months or so.

It's frustrating to realize I have alot of knowledge about what I'm supposed to do, but I go to grappling too randomly and dont drill the basics enough. I can take any noob grappler and run a clinic on him but against any of the tougher guys in my gym it's like I just forget what I'm doing on the ground. Like I just don't have the intesnity.

I'll probably drill gaurd passing, escapes and basic arm bars for 6 months, haha, thats how shitty I feel about my ground game right now.

I feel my standup is good for my experience, and I really can attack in sparring and compete, but on the ground even though I "know what I'm doing" I sort of feel out of place. Any advice on the situation? Just keep drilling the basics?

4. KingJeff

KingJeff New Member

Yeah Im going to start taking privates next week

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

privates arent worth it till you get to a certain level if you have a fight coming up or youve been training for a couple of months its worth it. If your just starting out its not

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

SLO empties out during the summer, so I've got just over two months of free semi-private lessons coming up.