SRS Has anyone suffered from Depersonalization?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cronin, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I've finally found some information online that seems to accurately describe my MOST frustrating symptom which has never given me one day of peace within the past 10 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

I've been using the term "brain-fog" to encapsulate what is described on that website in addition to the vertigo, dizziness, confusion, and spacial awareness problems I constantly suffer from.

"Often the person who has experienced depersonalization claims that life 'feels like a movie, things seem unreal, or hazy.'"

"The feeling is said to be like being a ghost. No matter how hard the person tries, he/she cannot feel like they are genuinely interacting with the world. Simply put, depersonalization is an alteration in the perception or experience of oneself, so that the self is felt to be unreal; the person feels detached from reality and/or their own body or mental processes."

"Depersonalization can be a cognitive symptom of such diseases as ALS, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Neuroborreliosis (Lyme Disease) or any other neurological disease affecting the brain."

How does this compare to you? Is the "brain fog" the same for you guys as it is for me? Have any of you ever NOT suffered from depersonalization at all?

And most importantly....

WHAT HAS HELPED!!!???? After 10 months of this feeling I'm pissed to all hell!

lol thanks guys.

2. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Me thinks that if you are that concerned about it, perhaps it's time to do some sessions with a good professional, instead of surfing the net for possibilities.

3. Cronin

Cronin New Member

You think I've been dicking around on the Internet for ten months?

Normal Complete Blood Count, Urinalysis and Culture, Thyroid Function, Kidney Function, Liver Function, Mononucleosis, Whipple's, Lyme Titer, and Lyme Western Blot.

Two Sleep Studies - Diagnosed with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea, treated with CPAP, no effect.

Upper GI Endoscopy - Gastritis and Hiatal Hernia
    Lower GI Endoscopy - Anal Fissure
    Capsule Endoscopy - "two small termain ileal erosions of the small intestine"

Positive IBD Panel

Rheumatism panel - HLA-B27 Positive

Spinal Tap - Opening Pressure of 22cm, otherwise normal.

Normal MRI, Constrast MRI, and Brain SPECT scan.

Circle of Willis MRA - “mild loss of flow signal in the petrus portion of left internal carotid artery which is likely related to flow artifact from the petrus ridge.”

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

I find myself reviewing the recent past and in my memory everything is absolutely still and the only "real" thing is me

5. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I agree with this. Professional help would be your best bet.

6. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Do you people even read what I write?

7. eidolon

eidolon New Member

It doesn't sound like you're going to the right kinds of professionals.

8. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

i feel lik that every day

9. mr_barbra

mr_barbra New Member

indeed i know what it is like to have this, however better help will be found in the http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/ fourm, theres some people on there who had it many a year

good luck
    your not alone

10. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

there was another thread on here a while ago where the OP mentioned similar symptoms and some people suggested lyme disease.

I won't go that far, but having had Lyme disease, "brain fog" was definatly a symptom. I wouldn't know what time it was, I'd forget things like letters of the alphabet, how to do simple arithmetic, I'd feel hazy and things would start to slow down and sound distorted, etc.

do you have any other symptoms? joint pain? nausea? GI system shutting down?

11. eXpl!cit

eXpl!cit New Member

i get like that after eating too much acid

12. 2500

2500 Guest

start researching anxiety and panic attacks. also, start jotting down when they happen. it also helps to keep a food diary. how much caffeine do you have in a day? depersonalization is, i believe, most common in anxiety and panic disorder. it was my major symptom when i suffered from panic attacks. just like you, i had every test in the book done, all came back fine. but, give some more detail. when does it happen more, have you noticed any triggers, do you have panic attacks, what are your stress levels like, etc.

13. Damn Dutchman

Damn Dutchman New Member

Hm i guess i got this too..

14. aegamemnon

aegamemnon Guest

you have something similar toa brain anyurism, a balloning blood vessel putting pressure on some tard part of your brain, you dont have psychiatric problems

15. 2500

2500 Guest

the only word you said that was meaningful is tard, but it should have been to describe yourself. stop giving advice about things you know nothing about.

" Normal MRI, Constrast MRI, and Brain SPECT scan."

you don't think they woulda found something?

get lost

16. ///

/// Born and raised in Ohio

I got it the first time i ever smoked weed

ive learned to live with it, i dont even know what its like to see things normally anymore...

17. Takitome

Takitome New Member

Well I've felt sort of like that at times, but they are rare and only for short periods like half a minute. And it's more of a clarity thing when I realise things like, "This is me... This is here".

I'm not sure if it's something like that you mean, but things seem surreal when I'm on that train of thought. It certainly gives me a special awareness and larger insight during it.