MIL has anyone served time, got out completely and then rejoin active duty?(pay question)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by flytojungho, Jan 19, 2010.

1. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

has anyone done this?

i served 4 years enlisted, got out for 4 years and rejoined as active and im wondering if I should be getting paid for 8 years in service due to my 4 years in-active reserve for the years i've been out.

up till now, my LES says "time in service" as 8 years but im getting paid for 4. couple of my buddies are getting paid as 8 years (same situation as me) but whenever i go to talk about it with PSD, they have no clue what im talking about:hs::ugh: am i getting the short end of the stick or are my buddies pay all messed up?

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I served 6 years in the Marine Reserves. A few months later, I joined Active Army. I get my 6 years TIS pay. I don't know about time in the IRR.

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_01.pdf

Here's the entire section on Pay: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/index.html

Since Pay is based on Cumulative Years of Service, and that service is based on Active or Inactive Service time, it sounds like you should be getting 8 years instead of 4 year.

So it sounds like you can take just that part that I showed you to your PSD and show them what you are talking about.

4. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Hes right, your time in the IRR counts as TIS but does not count towards AD retirement. IE, you go on to serve 20 active duty years you'll retire with 24 years total for pay purposes.

5. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

This is really surprising to me. Kinda awesome. :run:

6. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

thanks folks, this was what i was looking for.