MMA Has anyone run a tournament before?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by MyLittleAirport, Jun 12, 2009.

1. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'm seriously thinking about running a BJJ tournament here in CO.

I don't want to say anything really negative about the local tournaments here (actually there is one tournament that I really approve of but the others...) but I believe I can run a tournament far better.

Of course that is easier said than done but I'm doing my research and asking around, I'm talking to my wrestling coaches also for some help and input to get some ideas.

I'm getting a quote on prices for mats and everything and want to hold it at a local high school on the weekends.

So I'll appreciate it if anyone can help (drag on?) or could you compile your complaints/likes about the tournaments you've been to?

Like starting on time will be a high priority, etc.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

just borrow the high school mats or your gym mats, aren't you pretty chummy with your boy Elliot

3. MyLittleAirport

Nah, I want to hold 3 tournaments a year and I want to purchase my own mats. I want to actually look like I want to hold a tournament instead of just hosting a tournament only to make money.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

where are you gonna store all this equipment, I thought you lived in a tiny apartment with a roommate

5. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

I've actually thought about doing the same thing ever since I read the tourneys down here are about $55 and one elimination which is pretty fucked imo.

It also pisses me off that they don't advertise at all besides texasmma.com. I knew about it when it first came out cause of the site but NO ONE at my gym knew about it till yesterday and the tourney is this Saturday.

That just tells me that they the turnout will be small and more than likely lead to divisions getting joined together which is unfair to everyone involved.

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (mogul: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

i think it'd be wiser to start by trying to host something small in your own gym. use that experience and success to expand out.

7. MyLittleAirport

My parent's house.

You think that's bad? Here's the pricing for a local tourny here:

Teens ages 13 to 17 years, Adult, Executives, Masters, Women
    Gi ONLY or No Gi ONLY Registration Fees:
    --$40 through May 4th
    --$55 May 5th through June 4th
    --$70 June 5th through June 9th
    Registration for BOTH Gi AND No Gi:
    --$55 through May 24th
    --$70 May 25th through June 4th
    --$85 June 4th through June 9th

AND you have to register for Absolute separately:

ABSOLUTE (Adult and Women divisions ONLY)

Absolute Gi ONLY or Absolute No Gi ONLY Registration Fees:
    --$40 through May 4th
    --$55 May 5th through June 4th
    --$70 June 5th through June 9th
    Registration for EACH Absolute division when pre-registered with related standard division:
    --$5 through June 9th
    --$10 on the day of tournament

They get a fair amount of competitors nevertheless and they do run a decent tournament. But I don't want to compete with them directly (as in, running the tournament on the same weekend) but I want to keep the prices low and keep it there.

I want to hold a Submission (No-gi) only one first to see how that goes. It would be easier since I wouldn't get much disputes/arguments from bad reffing since it'll be basically tap out and that's it. And I could learn a lot from that tournament and learn from the mistakes for the next tournament.

Some of the things I would like to do is:

Have a designated warm up mat.
    Have it run like the IBJJF does, so there would be the warm up area, nail/gi/etc. check up area, then weigh in/bull pen area.
    Have coordinators for each mat so that there is less confusion.
    Have life updates on results.
    Have it RUN ON TIME!
    Set the kids on a separate day (probably Friday night and then have the rest of the competitors compete on Saturday morning).

I'm not expecting to make any money on the first tournament. After paying the refs, workers, cost of renting a place (most likely a high school), cost of supplies, Insurance, mats, medals/awards, etc. I would happy to just break even.

8. MyLittleAirport

I completely agree with the reffing, I remember at the local tournament here they had a brown belt and black belt competing and they had some guy who was a blue belt reffing and didn't really know what he was doing. We all were :ugh: that match. I would like to have only brown/black belts but that would be hard in my state, especially since most of them would be coaching. But purple belts would do and my plan was to hold exhibition matches so that they can practice scoring and would compare their results each other and help each other improve.

I want to have it run like a wrestling tournament, so each mat would have a number and a coordinator. So there would be a board that would tell who is on the mat, in the hole, and those after the people in the hole.

I want to barricade it for sure, only competitors inside the mat. And I'm looking at quotes for 8 designated areas for competitors, I might just do 6 at first and then move onto 8 if need be for the next tournament though.

9. MyLittleAirport

Anyone know a good way to entice females to compete?

I know there are a good amount of females that train but not many that compete.

I was thinking of maybe lowering the price for females but I'm afraid of backlash from male competitors. I don't know, I might not do anything special but I would like to see more female competitors so that there would be more weight classes for them.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Insurance too dude its america some fucker will get hurt and want to sue you.

11. MyLittleAirport

Yeah seriously :o

I need waivers/insurance for sure.

12. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Our HS ran/runs the biggest wrestling tourney in our section each year and I usually help out a lot. I could probably help w/ the computer shit you need. Outside of that I could ask my coach who would be more than willing to help if you're serious :dunno:

13. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I always thought wrestling tournaments were run really well. I can help you w/ this too.

14. MyLittleAirport

Okay, things I need to do first:

-Set a date for the tournament so it doesn't interfere with school/holidays/other tournaments/etc.
    -Get the location
    -Focus on getting mats and financing them.
    -Focus on a website and start marketing to all the gyms here in CO and to some gyms in surrounding states
    -After that, I will need people for reffing and people to work the points/concessions/etc.
    -Look for venues for the tournament (and earn a percentage of their earnings).

Still need more to put in but this is it for now.

15. TheEspionage

TheEspionage New Member

I'll provide you with the design side of your advertising i.e Posters etc.

Just hit me up if and when this gets utilized.

16. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

id borrow the equipment the first time around and use the profit to buy baller wrestling mats

17. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Mats are stupid expensive. But, that being said, if you do get it set up let me know in advance and I'll help get word out down here. We don't have any tournaments, that I know of, and I am sure people would travel there for a chance.

I am in Albuquerque, BTW.

18. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i dont know how most BJJ tournaments are run, but I know any judoka who show up and and plan on throwing someone is going to be dissapointed... the wrestling mats i've been on are so soft without shoes that you twist and sprain/break toes so damn easily.

19. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Really, really depends on which brand of mat.

20. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I'm pretty involved with the local ones my school puts on.

Rent a place.
    Set up some pre-registeration stuff.
    If you can, get some bracketing software. That's like the number 1, big thing for us. WIthout the bracketing software, you're stuck trying to do them by hand all day. With the software, you put people in as you register, click some check boxes for what divisions and weight they're doing, and you're in good shape.

21. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

It is WAY more fucking work than you want to put in, trust me.

22. .Tim

.Tim New Member

:mamoru:

23. MyLittleAirport

That would be great, thanks. I don't expect to fully start to get into motion until I get a lot of the things finalized but when I do, I would appreciate it a lot if you can do that, thanks.

Borrowing costs like $3k, that's about a 1/3 of the cost of the mats if I bought them so I minus whale buy them and put on 2-3 tournaments a year here in CO and even go to other states to put on more tournaments.

That would be awesome too, thanks. I want to bring in competitors from the surrounding states but I don't know if a lot of them would want to drive all the way to CO without some incentive or not knowing if they will have enough competitors in their bracket. I think that will be the main problem with bringing in competitors from other states.

Yeah, that's another thing, I'm still debating on whether or not to get tatami mats or those flexi-roll mats. I've only rolled on the tatami mats before at tournaments and was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the flexi-roll mats and how they felt.

Yeah, f-g is helping me out a lot right now and is asking his coach if he can help out with the software. I was wondering if the software would be able to update to the website automatically though but if not, its no big deal, it won't be that hard to upload a bracket on the fly.

I'm not expecting it to be a walk in the park, not at all.

What would be some incentives for competitors to join? I was thinking cash prizes for the Advanced division, lowering registration prices for females, etc.

24. Sammo

Sammo New Member

25. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Jessie could handle all the setting everything up, I'm sure. But you've done it before, right Tony? Dealing with all the dumb shits that ask the same questions you answer on your flier/website gets annoying. I'd prefer just going elsewhere.