Has anyone here took a computer technology class?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LiQuiD_FuSioN, Jul 7, 2007.

1. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

I may enroll in an 18 month program over here in computer technology which involves networking and building computers.

Is it going to be a challenging course if I don't know that much about computers? Or will they teach you step-by-step, so even the slow ones will graduate? That's the impression my counselor gave me anyway.

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It really depends on the instructor and the school. Most of those places you pay money, you graduate with a certificate no matter what . . . you'll get out of it what you put into it.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

its gonna be super easy, and the cert that you get wont mean jack shit. 99% of the people that have applied for jobs under me had some silly cert and couldn't reliably handle basic assembly tasks.

If you want to go there to learn and you actually focus then great. But the cert won't get you a job... Knowing what you're doing gets you the job.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

:werd:

and this typically only works in the IT bus

5. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Ouch, doesn't sound very hopeful! But, I am serious about learning though. I tried community college, but it just got boring for me. I'd rather assemble a computer and/or run a network instead if it means I'll get a degree in the end!

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I got a 2-year degree in computer information systems.. Just finished actually back in March. There were some retarded people in there who had never touched a computer before... However they also were not in the higher up classes as I advanced. How old are you? If you are young and not a stubborn ass then from what I've seen, you should be fine.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i ended up going the community college path and got 2 associate degrees, sadly i'm having trouble finding a job...

so, i continued college for a 4 year degree and i have 1 year left now

i'm doing cisco networking, already did the ccna stuff for my associates and have been doing ccnp stuff for my bachelors, that shit is challenging.

i'm sure that your hands on class is going to be incredibly easy, if you have any knowledge of computers, you should do fine.
    i just don't like how there are always complete retards and older students in class, trying to get a handle on things and they end up dragging the class down with them

8. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Hahahaha @ complete retards. Sadly, that's how I will feel comfortable knowing there are people who barely know how to hit the power button on a computer.

I'm 21 now, so consciously, I want to get started with my life already. The only thing I'm worried about is if the classes will be difficult. But, since I've reread the course outline many times now and read some of the opinions here, it seems like it will be really fun and a little challenging at the same time.

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I never took any technology classes only class that pertain to a computer was in high school and that was learning home row on a 286 computer I think. I learned everything on my own from reading and applying it right here at home and the only good thing that came out of it was a job I thought I was going to spend my career doing for a while but it ended up being outsourced to someone else and came at the worst possible time to be let go :wtc: While I wouldn't change it because I did like the work I had just thought for sure it would stay till I get situated somewhere on a perm basis and get out of apartment life and start a family. I still think certification has something to do with getting hired although it didnt catch my eye when I did all the hiring from the previous job I still think some employers look for it. Must not be any room in the IT world for Linux nerds I haven't had any luck finding a new job :wtc: so it looks like I will be applying for some coarses that are the opposite of what I have learned, windows but it should be a breeze for me. I already know Windows very well but not enough to obtain a job I guess.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're better off getting some Microsoft A+ Certifications and Cisco CCNA Certifications. Those will definitely get you a job, because Microsoft makes a lot of software and Cisco makes a lot of networking equipment.

11. mrj

mrj New Member

You said 18 months so I assume you're talking about ECPI or ITT Tech or something for "Networking" - don't fucking do it. Seriously. If you don't already know shit about computers, don't even waste your time. You'll never excel beyond the $13/hr range because you've never taught yourself anything - You don't get TAUGHT in IT - you teach yourself, and since you've not even remotely done that up to this point, you won't do it in the future.

Find something else.

If you still decide to stick with IT, don't goto a "technical college" because there isn't anything remotely "techinical" about them. They're pieces of shit, worthless, and anyone who shows up to class passes. You're paying $28k for an Associates (AAS) that WILL NOT TRANSFER TO OTHER *REAL* Colleges. Just goto community college then a CS program at a university that has the BEST CS program you can find - that's assuming you really want to learn and excel, and not just pass shitty certification exams.

You know how much an AS costs from a community college? Probably 3 of my paychecks. Aka nowhere near 28k.

12. mrj

mrj New Member

1; A+ has nothing to do with MSFT.

2; He won't land shit with just an MC/p/SA/E and CCNA and no experience.

13. mrj

mrj New Member

A good 85% of Systems Administrator jobs are Linux/Unix/Solaris/BSD based.

Find a webhost/ISP. They have huge groups of Unix Admins.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think that there are more than 15% windows sysadmin jobs. Remember that it's not just webservers that need sysadmins.... Basically every company on the planet uses windows domains.

15. deusexaethera

I never said he was going to get a job as a Sys Admin with those certifications, did I? Okay, so you're one, great. Get your head out of the box you're in. I said he's better off getting those certs I recommended than pursuing the path he came up with himself, because A+ and CCNA certs DO actually make it easier to get jobs, whereas (as you pointed out quite aptly) a "technical program" from ITT or whatever won't do shit for him except give him a sheet of paper to hang on the wall.

16. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

It's true, they do, but experience will be better than any certification, and a degree(a.a.s or better) will be better than any certs, simply because certs are just a matter of memorizing information.

17. deusexaethera

Absolutely. But since he doesn't have experience, and since he's pretty clearly trying to take the path of least resistance, certifications issued by companies that make stuff people use are pretty much "it", in terms of options.

18. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Are you serious about the AAS not transferring to other colleges? That would certainly suck.

Anyway, I go in and talk with these guys tomorrow. I'll ask about what you said because 28k is a great deal of money to spend if it's not going to help me in the future.

Edit:

Here is the link to the college, it's called Western Technical College.

http://www.wtc-ep.edu/about/

19. mrj

mrj New Member

I attended ECPI in Virginia Beach, and it was one of the most enormous mistakes of my life.

About 1/2 the way through I decided to goto ODU and find out what I needed paperwork wise to enroll, and was told that almost no "real" universities will consider the AAS as a real/credit worthy degree. I think ODU counted 3-4 of my 50 or so credits, or at least one class. I believe 74 = AAS. So, basically I'd have been starting on my bachelors from.... step 1.

Now, had this school been impressive, and taught me things, this might be fine. But it didn't. Technical schools are a joke. I don't know how many ghetto morons would sit in the back of class, ASLEEP, and pass with the same grade I have.

You'll notice anyone who went to a tech school has a 3.5+ GPA. Yeah, well, when 99% of tech schools graduate people with Deans List, the Deans List isn't very important anymore is it?

Now on the topic of Windows vs Unix admins, take my word for it, until you have plenty of years of experience AS a systems admin, you will have a ridiculously hard time finding a job as an MSFT Network/Sys admin. Why? Because one company might employ 15 Unix admins all with varying levels of experience, whose sole job is to watch apache/qmail/sendmail/rtg/nagios, basically things any Unix guy can handle.. But what does an MSFT admin handle typically? The companies Exchange/Domain forest/etc. What I'm getting at, is if you don't have 5+ years of systems admin experience, you'll have a HARD time finding work as an MSFT admin. Obviously the more experienced Unix admins will take on more difficult positions, NAS/SAN administration, clustering, blahblah, but there is always room for the little guy who knows how to start stop apache and read qmail logs.

Not to mention the sheer NUMBER of Unix jobs is insane. Our entire Power/Cable/Telephone/Web/ISP infrastructure is BSD/Solaris. Those are jobs that will NEVER go away. Find me a Windows admin at Brighthouse, or TECO/Florida Power. There's probably 1 for every 25 Unix admins.

I'm going through this right now. I'm "intermediate level" sys/network admin. I'm completely overqualified for a JR admin role (35k), but I'm underqualified for a SR admin role (70k w/ 5 years of dedicated MSFT only experience).

It sucks.

I'm just going to get my CCNP, get into BGP shit, and give up administration altogether.

Anyway, all of this is YMMV. I've been in IT for about 6 years, since 17, and this post is based on my experience.

IMO, network engineering with solaris/bsd experience is THE way to go. JUNOS+IOS+CATOS+NIX+BSD+SOLARIS = $$$

Techinical colleges are meant to GET YOU A JOB -- that's it. They're not meant to train, teach, or propel you. They're there to give you a piece of paper that will land you an entry level, foot in the door, pit of hell call center job.

I might come off as brash, but I've been in your shoes. I experienced it, I asked around about technical colleges, IT, everything, and never received an answer from a knowledgeable source. So, I've been through it now, and I like to help out where I can. Just keep in mind, your experience may vary. I've learned more than I ever expected to learn about careers, college, life, and fucking up in the past 5 years than I ever anticipated.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  20. mrj

mrj New Member

There are most definitely specific certifications that WILL land you a job. But they're typically held by people who have been in the business for YEARS.

CCIE, CCSP.. etc.

Even at my level of knowledge I'm nowhere near CCIE level. And the CCSP is way too much shit for me to stomach reading/learning right now. It's all theory.

21. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Honestly, I'm overwhelmed by what you're saying. I could take a look to see if they have any other computer classes at the community colleges here, but I don't see myself going back there right now.

On one hand, WTC looks interesting and exciting for me. I've only had half a year dealing with CISCO-type stuff in high school, but even that was just me getting my feet wet.

I really do want to learn how to build my own computer and manage a network, I'm sure I've said that already. But, what is pulling me back is the part where colleges won't recognize my Associate's degree in computer technology etc. Because, I will most likely want to climb up the ladder in the future.

I don't even know what the courses I have mapped out will be like.. I'm only going by the description, so I'm gonna go in there a total n00b blocking out everything I knew before.

Bottom line is, when all is done and I graduate, hypothetically speaking, will I get a good paying job? They seem to stress that they will guarantee me a job when I'm finished.. *sigh* I really don't know the ins and outs to colleges, or where the fine print is. I really appreciate you giving your opinion though, made me think about stuff I hadn't thought up before.

22. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

QFT

23. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

No offense, but doesn't that sound a little redundant? If I taught myself, then I wouldn't need to go to a fancy schmancy college. But, for the most part, you're right.

Btw, out of my own assyness, all of this IT-related work, computers and networking talk sounds so pretentious. It's as if these skills are God's gift to mankind, but I guess that's the modern world's fault for embracing technology. Just my observation!

24. deusexaethera

Liquid Fusion, consider what programmers do: Using their minds, they create things that never before existed, that can act intelligently on their own, that are beyond most people's ability to comprehend, and that can have worldwide effects in a matter of minutes. In effect, programmers are sorcerers. Is it any wonder that computer nerds tend to hold themselves a rung above most people?

(btw, I believe the TV show "Babylon 5" used the term "techno-mage" to describe the futuristic version of hardcore computer geeks.)

25. mrj

mrj New Member

College = Theory

Administration/Engineering/Programming = Experience