SRS Has anyone here ever tried to quit dipping/chewing before?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bakerdem, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bakerdem

bakerdem New Member

I'm determined to quit this time. However, its tougher to find resources online because its much less popular, and even less popular to quit. Has anyone on OT succesfully quit dippping?

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

my sponsor has used lozenges to a...mild success

3. bakerdem

bakerdem New Member

hmm
    as in he throws in a lozenge when he wants a dip?

hmmm i will try it, thanks.

4. curt698

curt698 New Member

I quit chewing about six years ago. I wanted to keep dating the girl I was seeing, she didn't know I chewed. So, I quit. I then proceeded to marry her. If she ever leaves me I may got back to it but untill then I'm good. My mouth waters like crazy when ever I see or smell the stuff though and I still miss it.

5. bakerdem

bakerdem New Member

:sad2:

whatd u do to stop

6. curt698

curt698 New Member

Quit buying tins;) . Seriously though I just stopped putting chew in my mouth. I was sober about 2-3 years by then so I knew the whole one time at a time thing. Quiting just sucks, sometimes to get where you want to be you have to go through the pain.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I've tried many times to fully quit. It was getting out of hand years ago. We started dipping thru football, we saw the older guys doing it and they offered it to us, etc. By senior year my friends and I were dipping close to a tin a day each. It got worse thru college ball. Once I stopped playing ball, I stopped dipping as much. It went from multiple times a day to only on the weekends.

Now I rarely dip, but its also because I don't drink as much as I used to. I'll tell you what, though.... I get 3-4 beers in me and I'm a nicotine fiend. I'd say the best way to stop is to cold turkey it, but you also gotta stop drinking for a while. Just like smokes, coffee and alcohol are supposed to increase your cravings.

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

What I did (and worked fairly well) was bought a bunch of sunflower seeds, then just stopped buying tins. When I wanted one, I grabbed some sunflower seeds.

I went through 2lbs of seeds in 2 days, but damnit, it worked. It's going to blow for about 2-3 days, but after that just got better and better. Try to keep active, go do something, don't just sit around, you'll get cravings.

Good luck man.