SRS has anyone here ever snapped out of a long depression?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Jul 28, 2007.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

I'm starting to loose hope

been depressed for 7 years or more, been to a ton of doctors,therapy and different meds and still not any better.

anyone have a shitty life and have it get any better?

2. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I wish I had a success story for you, but not really. I have in a way... but the thing is when I get "down" like a normal human being about something, I tend to blur the line between normal sadness, and the onset of depression, and sometimes a self-fulfilling prophecy occurs and I'm struggling to reach the surface for a month here or there.

It does happen. I too am looking for a way out.

3. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

As far as "snapping out," it's not necessarily something where you're just sitting there and BAM, you feel a lot better. There needs to be some sort of catalyst, and it's different for everyone. For starters, I would suggest doing something outside of your normal routine. I know for myself that I have this sort of boxed in world where I only chose to do certain things and nothing outside of that. If you stick to that, especially if you're miserable in that box, you will continue to be miserable.

I took a trip to the west coast for work and I felt like a completely different person. It was completely outside of everything I had known and it felt as if I had left my old self back in Michigan.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I was depressed for about 11 years, suicidal many times, eventually i figured out that the reason i was depressed was because i was always thinking about what i didnt have, what i wanted, but couldnt have, etc

then i eventually came to terms with that, told myself to accept that i might never have them, and started focusing on the things i *did* have.

So now that I wasn't constantly thinking negatively, I was able to start doing things that I wanted to do, and eventually broke out of the depression completel

5. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

You ever watch that movie, Patch Adams. reminds me of your situation where meds probably wont help. Its more of a mental issue vs. quick fix-it physical issue.

There are several ways to snap out of depression. I've seen it happen to several people too.

if you have good friends, hang out with them more. Vent to them about your frustrations vs. bottling it up.

if you like an activity, focus on it more and take it up with more passion (Ie: basketball, play in leagues etc, vs. just shooting around in the backyard).

A healthy body promotes a healthy mind. Try calling a friend to lift weights, or join classes offered at fitness centers.

This is a long-shot but you said you have meds, try sharing it with your friends. they'll have a blast, you'll have a blast, everyone will have fun.