GUN Has anyone heard of this new "blended metal" ammo?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, May 2, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I saw something about it on the History Channel recently. It's some new kind of 8-metal alloy with a weird red tip that apparently softens when exposed to body heat (at 1000mph, anyway), but stays hard otherwise, so it can punch a hole through sheet metal like a drill press, but explodes and shreds warm flesh like a dum-dum. The slo-mo demo film was insane.

It scares me that people get paid to come up with shit like this. I wouldn't mind the ability to punch through steel, but does it really need to turn a pot roast into hamburger? Isn't it bad enough that it punches a big fucking hole in your body? Does it really need to shred your organs too?

It's shit like this that causes terrorism. Nobody can possibly win against us in a head-on firefight -- they don't even have a sporting chance -- so they stick bombs under roadways instead.

We just need to disable our enemies, we don't need to eviscerate them.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I imagine heat from friction going at the 2500-3500fps that the average carbine-fired rifle bullet travels is going to be greater than body-heat.

I think what you saw was a load of crap.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what the fuck do you think HP/frangible ammo does?

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

no, fuck head. it's the fucking bible of your religion telling you to kill everyone that doesn't believe in your god that causes terrorism.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats what they would do to us, why give them anything less?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

even plain-jane ball rifle ammo, once it gets to sufficient velocity.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

8. deusexaethera

It sure as hell can't shoot through steel plate and then disintegrate when it encounters a side of beef.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about it. It seemed really far out there, but who the hell knows what metallurgists can do these days.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I've actually seen the video of the shit he is talking about. Some guy shoots through a 1/2" steel plate, punches a nice little hole in it, then it hits a chunk of meat and frangis (what would be the verb for the action of a frangible bullet, anyways) and tears it to shreds

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

LeMas has been selling their "blended metal" ammo for quite a long time. Pages and pages would have to be devoted to all the lies involved with it. To make a long story short, they're liars. Its just a shitty bullet with a lot of sales pitch. It sucks. Believe in unicorns and jesus before you believe their claims.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ohhhh high tech, a lead jsp. As usual extraordinary claims are usually full of crap and just meant to seperate you from your money.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes i've seen it, too... but it has nothing to do with body heat.

12. deusexaethera

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

One of my favorite ads (best viewed before elemental analysis of their bullets but still)
    [​IMG]

The 5.56 mm ammo shipped to us by modog consists bullets with an ave weight of 45.0 gr made using standard swaged copper jackets and lead-antimony cores--these molybdenum disulfide coated bullets are completely conventional in every way and use no blended metals, exotic materials, bonding, or other unusual construction. These bullets are identical in every respect, down to the elemental level, as commercially produced .223 varmint rifle bullets. Despite being labeled as “Land Warfare” their exposed lead noses classify them as JSP’s and would render them not legal for combat use under current JAG rules.
    [​IMG]
    Also shipped was .45 ACP ammunition that has bullets of an ave. weight of 83.5 gr made using a conventional copper jacket into which a lead-antimony nose and nylon core are placed. The exposed lead nose classifies these bullets as JSP’s. No blended metals, exotic materials, or bonding, is noted. Please note that the construction of these LeMas/RBCD .45 ACP handgun rounds, like other ones we have recently assessed, appears use an improved nylon material resulting in more consistent cores and less core-jacket structural defects than those we previously publicly illustrated at TF.

Finally, the 9 mm ammunition sent by modog consists of similar JSP bullets of an ave 59.2 gr weight that are similarly made using a conventional copper jacket housing a lead-antimony nose over a round nylon dual ball as noted in the earlier ammunition illustrated at the link above. Again, no blended metals, exotic materials, or bonding.
    [​IMG]

Sectioned LeMas .308 bullets are depicted below--once one digs past the outer moly disguise and truly assesses bullet construction, it is obvious the LeMas bullets are conventional commercial bullets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could keep pasting all day, anyone truly interested can read about it here http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001189 but if you buy it at least call me and let me sell you a unicorn or a flying car or something.

14. deusexaethera

So what is it, then?

15. deusexaethera

Well, regardless of how it works, it would be interesting to see if it works, firsthand.

According to the DoD, anything a civilian can buy isn't the real thing.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What your video depicts is consistant with standard ball ammo. On such as small piece of meat, a standard 5.56nato/.223rem bullet traveling 3,000fps (easily achieved with a M4 carbine) will create that same effect. Likewise, they can punch through a metal plate.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tom-foolery. Give someone who wants to believe, a reason to believe, and they will believe. The pre-requisite is they must WANT to believe.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What do you mean if it works? The effects of super light weight fast projectiles are well documented. Temporary cavitation can be impressive looking. Not that it matters. This is regular ammunition made in a fashion that keeps it from meeting the terminal ballistics standards of today. We know what makes bullets work and we know how to test for that. No matter how incredible watching someone walk on broken glass may seem, there is no magic. Don't let the carnival aspect of anyone's presentation fool you.

:rofl: Claims like this should really be a red flag. So they say their special bullets are made of pixie dust and are lead free. But they're really just lead. But not just regular lead, its smart lead thats mined from parts of the earth where it can tell the 50 degree difference between living animals and gelatin.

Really baby, my cock is huge. But just when you're not looking. Its special. Don't let your brains fall out cause of a cool commercial ;)

19. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

RBCD is still around? Those fucking dipshits :rofl:

20. reman

reman New Member

Didn't those liars chain up pigs and shoot them to prove their magic bullets?

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://stopanimaltests.com/f-lemasPigs.asp

I don't know what the fines wound up totaling or why they felt like they had to shoot unanesthetized animals just to study the effects on their tissue.

22. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Is the OP as dumb as he consistently sounds, or is he just trolling us?

Fuck, anyone that allegedly has an engineering degree should realize the near-impossibility of what those "blended metal" hucksters are claiming without so much as a back-of-the-napkin calculation.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it's probably for real

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yep

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I saw the same History Channel show. The footage to me look consistent with a standard 5.56 hitting plate steel and then impacting flesh. A piece of meat that small will dramatically show cavitation and exaggerate damage to an entire animal/person. The lack of bones and smaller mass will make it easier to damage.

It has been stated that what they claim makes no sense and until I see a better description of what it does and how it does it, I believe that it is simple marketing.

When firing at a target that is flesh and blood what is your reason? For me it would be to eliminate an immediate threat to myself. The surest way to do that is to incapacitate the target and the best way to do that is to kill it. That being said the more massive the trauma to the target the more likely I am to live. There are many wounds that are fatal, but not incapacitating, what does it matter if your shot kills your attacker if he continues to attack you before he dies.

Short answer, yes.

Terrorism, guerrilla warfare, unconventional warfare have always been a response to facing a superior force. Even on a technologically level playing field. If your goals are live to fight another day and kill as many of the enemy as you can, never directly engaging him makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it?

When they are firing 7.62x39 at you in full auto and sniping with 7.62x54R what do you suggest we do? I am not for senseless killing, but deadly force is still the best way to quickly eliminate a threat. If there was a another system available, reliable and effective it should be considered.

Depending on the nature of the war, what would you suggest an army is to do with so many enemies that have been incapacitated and captured?