Has anyone gotten an E SATA w/ their MBP to work successfully?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

Has anyone used an express card and had the esata connection work with an external hard drive? I edit videos and I need a faster connection than my FW400 HD. It can't keep up w/ my video edits and has this lag to it.

Thanks.

2. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

3. Budha

Budha Guest

Trev,

That still works w/ the latest OSX Build?

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

We use Wiebetech cards with their enclosures. Work just fine. Get about 66MB/sec sustained throughput when imaging from one of the attached drives to the other.

Should note that many SATA enclosures can cause issues as they have their own onboard SATA controllers that conflict with the SATA card. I know this is the case with the Seagate FreeAgrent Pros and many other external drives. Best bet seems to be getting an enclosure that comes with the card and not going for the cheap card. It was a couple hundred for the card and 2 drive enclosure from Wiebetech.

5. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

Yup. I'm on 10.5.5 here :wavey:

6. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I just wanted to thank you for this post, my client needed an external secure backup for her work (professional photographer) and was using a FW Granite enclosure (2-disk raid 1 + an extra drive for offsite storage) but it was crapping out on her and only running a software raid setup.

So I talked her into a Wiebetech SilverSATA II SR with the hardware raid controller on it and the Wiebetech card + 3 1TB drives. Fucking outstanding setup, way faster than her old one and no more software RAID to fuss with - when she switches locations she can pop one drive out, put it in storage, pop the extra drive in, let it mirror overnight without even being connected to a computer, and she's ready to go. Plus it's about 1/4 the size of the old Granite enclosure, which makes it a perfectly legitimate storage device to have sitting next to her MBP on the desk.

Great equipment, never would have found them without your post.