has anyone experienced HD radio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ive been considering it and the only thing making me not do it is the cost of the adapter: 450 :ugh:

however i do listen to the local radio quite a bit, there are some decent stations here that i like a lot

(there are 13 HD stations in my city)

PS could i use a different hd radio tuner with my eclipse deck than a eclipse hd tuner?

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

I just hooked one up as part of a CarPC/Kenwood HU install. It's pretty sweet.

The guy utilized the stock amp/speaker in his 350Z, but it sounded good. Also, it's cool because the HD station is a completely different station basically... most stations have the normal broadcast station AND their HD station. Was pretty sweet.

If it was cheap for the tuner, I'd do it.

3. JordanCPetit

JordanCPetit New Member

If you were talking bitrate...what's the difference in the quality?

4. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    i'm considering getting hd radio too.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

As with any designated EM band: bandwidth requirement goes up, frequency increases, range/power decreases. 800MHz to 1.9G to 2.4G to 5G...hell, I'm not listing them all. Sprint diddn't even operate in 800MHz or analog. That's how Verizon secured the business traveler market.

My bossman has HD radio. It's his car so my experience is limited. NPR in my area operates low on the FM dial (90.1), meaning poor signal quality. On HD: crystal clear with zero white noise.

I was impressed, but with NPR as my only trial my opinion is meaningless.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i just installed hd radio into my car and love it. i'm using the alpine 001 and hd tuner, no cds in the car ftw.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we've got one radio station(christian) in our rural area, that broadcast in HD... i've only installed one HD radio, and that was for the owner of the radio station... we're not close enough to the 3 big cities, to be able to utilize it.

8. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

You can buy an aftermarket CD player for $450 that will tune into HD... The Kenwood a step above mine is like $300 and can tune to HD. Hell, there are Jensen HD players under $200.