has anyone ever written an Eclipse plugin?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Jul 28, 2008.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

why is it so incredibly frustrating to find concise tutorials on creating an Eclipse plugin? I search for "Eclipse plugin tutorial" on Google and I get crap from 2002 that's written for Eclipse 2.0. even stuff written for Eclipse 3.0 aren't very good.

while im at it, ill just ask specific questions in case anyone knows. so I am on Europa. I created a new Plugin project and so on. I get to the Extensions tab, and I created a new Extension of the actionSet nature. supposedly, according to tutorials, if i right click on it i would get to choose to create new menus, groups, etc. but no, all i get is a shitty "Generic" option. wtf is going on??

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, I have. There are books. Actually, I couldn't even understand Eclipse or how it worked until I read Design Patterns. That was like, required reading to understand the books that tell you how to write Eclipse plugins.

There are also tutorials, but Eclipse is SO pattern heavy that I would recommend one of the books on Eclipse plugins.

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Build...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217284787&sr=8-1

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

If I tell you what it needs to do, could you possibly guesstimate how long it will take me to learn how to do it? I just need a ballpark number to tell management.

1) Checkout some Javascript/XML files from CVS.
    2) Make text modifications to files mentioned in #1 according to user input.
    3) Check files in and create entry in Bugzilla.

also, that book is written in 2006. would that have any big impact?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The book was updated for Eclipse 3.2, so it should be good enough.

I really don't know how long that will take - I haven't messed with the Team APIs and I haven't used CVS in over 5 years since svn took over.

Buy the book, look at the relevant APIs, make a hello world plugin, and then make an educated guess. I haven't done that, so I can't estimate.

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok cool thanks. just as a reference, this is what I was talking about

[​IMG]

You see that it says Generic, yea? Well it's not supposed to say Generic according to all the tutorials i have seen. i have no idea how this came about or if im doing something wrong. this is my first time using the PDE. If you or someone knows something about this, it'd be a huge help. this is a major blocker for me. thanks!

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't know. It could be version specific. You can always edit the xml files themselves if you need to, and not rely on the helpers. Email the author's of the tutorials.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

my brother has, he loves eclipse. however, i've never used eclipse.

i know this statement doesn't help you at all though :mamoru: :o

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was really into Eclipse before I started doing web development.