Has anyone ever used Windows Services for Unix?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 17, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm about to stab someone. I CANNOT find the admin program for this goddamned feature. It's not in 64-bit Control Panel, or 32-bit Control Panel, or Administrative Tools, or the Start Menu...all I have is a bunch of POSIX-compliant command lines I can run. I want the fucking user interface!

Please tell me where it is.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I looked at it once a long time ago. Its supposed to be real fucked up, they don't want it to be easy :/

Are you sure you need it?

3. deusexaethera

I have to use it if I want VMware ESXi Server to be able to transfer files to/from Windows NFS fileshares.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Seems kinda weird to host NFS from Windows - instead of SMB from windows or NFS/Samba from *nix - but otay.

I got no help.

5. deusexaethera

Blah. I finally got it. Windows Storage Server Management or some shit like that. The User Mapping control panel was hidden inside there.

Once I found that, all I had to do was SSH into the ESXi box -- oh wait, first download WinSCP so I can use SSH -- oh wait, before that I had to go into the ESXi console and un-comment the line that enables the SSH service, then reboot the server -- and copy the "passwd" and "group" files from the ESXi server to the file server. Then I could create a username mapping between ESXi's "root" user and a local admin account on the file server. THEN I could create NFS shares on the file server and tell ESXi to access them as datastores.

What a goddamned refuckulous juggernaut. I wasted my whole goddamned day on this, just so I could backup my VMs to the file server. At least it works though.

I should take the 4x 600GB Stardom SCSI rackmount arrays I have and hook them up to an old server and install OpenFiler on it, to make a ghetto SAN for all my VM shit to sit on. But...I don't have enough room on the one rack, I'd have to bring the other one back in...bah, I'll deal with it later.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You should fucking hate MS for making it hard. NFS is standard.

7. deusexaethera

To be fair, VMware didn't help by making me have to go into the command line to enable SSH. Took me a good half hour to figure out how to do that, because of course there's nothing on the server config screen to indicate how that's done.

Once I got the passwd and group files off the ESXi server, it was actually pretty straightforward. The two big hurdles were getting those files in the first place, and finding the control panel in Windows that I needed to work in.

Still, yeah, it was a pain in the ass the first time around.

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

And then there is the consolidated backup feature...

9. deusexaethera

The what?

10. deusexaethera

Woo, I got a couple of VMs running on my ESXi server. Nice to know I didn't do all this shit just to have to undo it.

Now I just have to finish converting all of the VMs for this server, then jump through the same hoops on two other servers. Yeesh.

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The built in functionality of ESXi that you're trying to hack it to do.

Its well advertised.

12. deusexaethera

Well...I wasn't really hacking ESXi to get the backup feature to work. All I needed was the password and group lists, which wouldn't have been an issue if my file server were running *nix. It was Windows I had to do the most shit to.

Anyway, I don't think the consolidated backup feature is available for free, and it probably requires a SAN, which I don't have.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  13. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

It just requires a physical server running backup exec 12 and the appropriate agent. No SAN required.

VSphere 4 w/ VCB for three hosts is $995 if you option out of support.

The agent for Backup Exec is the expensive ($3700) part but it covers an unlimited number of virtual hosts.

14. deusexaethera

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. The way my company is, though, virtually everything has to be paid for out of project budgets, which is great until you consider that the company is not as small as it used to be and it has its own internal infrastructure that needs maintenance now.

Gotta love growing pains.

15. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I wasn't consulted last year on a budget so it meant pleading to get anything.

I'm working on my budget for next year. Putting in a SAN (just one array most likely) is the big goal for next year.

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

ooh, what are you looking at? are you looking midrange or enterprise storage? how about your switches?

17. deusexaethera

I was consulted, and then I didn't get anything I asked for. Tape drive? No. T1? No. Action Pack? No.

It's cool though, I'm resourceful. Gives me something to bitch about too.

18. deusexaethera

I'd use Ethernet if I could possibly help it. We got rid of our old SAN about a year and half ago -- nice IBM fiber-channel unit, capable of holding 48 disks. Sold it for a few thousand. But the switch -- that was some godawful complex Silkworm fiber-channel thing, and we finally had to give it away to get rid of it. We literally couldn't sell it, because it was only good if you had fiber-channel everything, and at 1Gb/s it had already been surpassed by Ethernet.

Cheap, easy, and consistent, as long as it doesn't significantly impact performance. It's a harder rule to enforce than you'd think; I've had to jump on IT's case every time I've ordered a new server because they keep trying to get the fastest CPUs / biggest RAM / biggest hard drives they can, when I've clearly told them I want 2GHz C2Q Xeons and 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 and 15krpm 146GB SAS across the board. That way I only need to keep one set of spares on-hand. Doesn't stop them from getting sweet-talked by the Dell rep every time they get a price-quote though.

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Most likely won't be able to afford anything enterprise, but we'll see. Dell was showing off their EquaLogic 6000 series at a lunch seminar last week. They look quite promising, but I'm going to talk to the regional sales rep and see what they're going to run me.

At this point the key is tbe able to expand storage easier than ripping all the drives out of the file server and replacing them. :mamoru:

Haven't picked switches yet.