MIL Has anyone claimed a disability through the VA?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BaronVonBullshit, Mar 29, 2008.

1. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

I kind of feel bad for even considering it because there are those far worse off than myself and honestly I dont even tell people I was in the military because I was only active duty for 6 weeks. But when I went to OCS I wrecked my knee. It was bending and making noises in ways it shouldn't have and I was denied sick call for a while and had to push through a 4 mile run on what sounded like a garbage disposal. They let me go to sick call on Monday. This happened on a Friday, iirc. I stayed off of it a few days and pushed through the last week (which was pretty easy PT... and I had motrin).

This was 3 years ago. I started running again and a week or two into my regimen my knee is having the same medial pain and popping around all funky. I mentioned it to my dad and he told me to get it checked out and talk to the VA if it's a meniscus tear as they generally never heal. :hsd:

What is the process? Should I even bother?

2. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Were you discharged medically or was it just a failure to adapt type thing? I thought you needed 18 months to get veterans benefits.

3. BaronVonBullshit

OCS is only 6 weeks long. but i was active duty at the time :dunno:

4. focus.lost

focus.lost 日本語

I've got an appointment on the 9th.

5. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

appointment on the 15th

6. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

3yrs later? might be too late to claim..

i missed out on my dental cuz i waited too long... but i get 20% medical

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

how do you get dental?

my teeth are fucked up :(

8. BaronVonBullshit

i dont think that matters. i was seen there for it. and i was obviously in great shape until i got there.. or they wouldnt have let me in. and it's still fux0red

9. mtnbike4522

im not sure on the details. i just was told by a buddy that got his leg blown off that you have xxx amount of days to claim your disability to the va. now if there is any truth to that or not, im not sure, nor am i able to find anything about it.

but hell.. apply online http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp or go talk to your local va rep

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Unless you have documentation, you won't get anything.

11. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I dislocated my shoulder at basic back in 04.

This past year I had to get surgery on my shoulder (bankart repair) because of it, and it wont be 100% back to normal.

Anyone think I can get something out of that?

12. BaronVonBullshit

i do though. i was treated for it there

13. BaronVonBullshit

i guess it doesnt hurt to try. pretty sure a hearing loss nets you a 10% disability. i think most joint injuries are 20%

14. mtnbike4522

i fractured both femurs and got 20%...... everyone tells me that its gonna jack me up once i get older :( i already pop vicodins like pez because of it

15. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

isnt it 90 days after your EAS. I think thats what I heard.

16. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I should have specified further. Documentation history of repeated issues and seen a doctor(s) on several occasions for treatment.

Just having a sick call slip for being treated one time won't fly. I collect 10% for hearing loss. I have several failed hearing tests, treatments for ear infections, etc.

17. BaronVonBullshit

:o

18. Liebgott

Liebgott New Member

I'm still in, but I've had three surgeries on my right knee, an ACL reconstruction, a meniscus debriement, and a meniscus transplant, I hope I get a fair amount when I get out.

19. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Probably 30% or so...

20. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I don't think there's a statute of limitations type of thing on claiming anything through the VA. So long as it was fully documented in your Active Duty medical records and you can prove the injury which led to the disability was sustained while AD then you can always ask to be evaluated by the VA.

I am a dsiabled Vet, but I have been since Sept 97.

21. someonenew

are you full duty?

Does the injury prevent you from doing your job?

If you're full duty and the injury does not prevent you from doing your job, then you won't get anything when you get out. You can however request to be evaluated and chances are you'll get 10% for arthritis.

I blew my knee out and had 2 recontructions. They felt it wasn't 100% even after 2 and because I was Navy I got discharged because they felt it was a risk at sea and this Disqualified me for Sea Duty, not Sub tho:o (kept my fish:bigthumb: ). So I originally had a 10% rating from the MEB. After a couple of years I sent a letter to the VA requesting that I be re-evaluated. They made me an appointment and I went in to see the Doc. They did the x-rays etc and he said he felt that there was still some give in the knee and that the arthritis was bad enough to get me another 10%. So now I'm at 20% for my knee.

The biggest thing to remember with disability is to make sure that EVERYTHING is documented in your medical records. And don't get out of the service without a full copy of your medical record. After you're disharged they go to the archives in New Orleans and can only be accessed by VA request iirc. So make sure you have a copy. Also if you see any civilian doctors after getting disharged for issues with any injury you sustained while active duty, make sure you have full documentation and bring that to the VA with you.

FYI for 2008 20% is $230/month paid the 1st of every month. Up 5 bucks from last year:o:wtc:

22. Liebgott

Liebgott New Member

I'm currently on limited duty, have been for the last year. I'm going on my last period of limited duty and my doc is talking about a medical discharge

23. someonenew

if you're currently on LimDu then you're already on the right track to getting disability.

Your Doc needs to recommend you for a "Medical Evaluation Board". At which time your complete record along with a write up from your Doctor is sent to the board. Are you Navy/Marine? For those 2 branches they compile your records and the report/recommendation from your Doctor and is sent to an Evaluation Board in Bethesda. There is 2 Navy Captain and a Marine Colonel who look over your records etc. They then return a verdict and also give you a rating in 10% increments.

You're then put on a list for BUPERS to discharge you. So you're just waiting on Orders. Take the Terminal Leave at this point and get started.

If you're recommended for discharge and receive a disability rating you'll also receive severance pay. The Severance Pay will be based upon your Disability rating, time in service, and rank. You'll get this check the day you're discharged. This check is basically an advance on your payments. Over the next couple of years instead of you receiving your disability the VA doesn't pay you until the amount you received in Severance has been equalled, and then you'll start to receive payments. Typically this takes about 5 years or so to see your first check.

Also if you're discharged with a greater than 20% disability and your disability affects your ability to find a job as a civilian you can request Vocational Rehab.

Most of what I'm telling you though is just stuff that you can find out through your clinic and talking to the guy there.

24. BaronVonBullshit

I just got off the phone with the VA and the guy said that the best thing to do would be to submit a claim and have them evaluate me. He said it may or may not fly, and he actually attended PLC so he's aware of the circumstances around my "active duty" and lack of a DD-214. i guess now i just wait :o

25. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Thats all you can do. Don't get your hopes up though. If you do get it, set up a separate account for the money and make it your alcohol fund. Tell your friends you are rocking on their tax dollars.