GUN Has anyone bought a LWRC AR?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Emfuser, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I LOVE the gas-piston mod they make to the AR to prevent fouling and heatup. I wouldn't mind an M6A2, but $2k for one is definitely something that makes it go on the "save your nickels and dimes" list.

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I don't think it is an AR anymore if they put a gas piston in it. Also, the benifit of a standardized design like an AR-15, is that you can get parts everywhere if something on yours breaks. The bolt and it's components are the most likely thing to have an issue in an AR, and they are the part that is different in that design.

I'm also not convinced that the gas piston will be any better about fouling, especially if you are shooting a normal amount of rounds through it between cleanings. There is no reason to shoot more than 5K rounds through a gun without cleaning it, which is the most I have heard of shot through a S&W M&P15 like mine before it was cleaned.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I sold all my AR's awhile back, if I ever get back into another one it'll be a piston I like the POF setups, haven't heard very many complaints from people who've bought piston AR's of any manafactuer, I'm waiting to get a Masada first though.

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

It seems to me (and seems to work), that changing where and how the gas from round is converted into kinetic energy makes a big difference in how fouled and heated the weapon gets. Granted, heat is less of a concern for civilian uses, but to me (an engineer, and fan of design improvements), this improvement on the AR-15/M-16 is clean, effective, and desirable.

5. reman

reman New Member