Has anybody used IE7 yet and actually LIKED it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Oct 23, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I can't believe that Microsoft is serious about IE7 being the new browser of choice for Windows users. I can't do shit with it! Specifically, I can't shuffle toolbars the way I want, and buttons are scattered all over the place. I mean, the visual components look nice, but I can't arrange them the way I want.

On IE6, I have the top row split 30/70 between the menus and the Google Toolbar, and the second row split 20/80 between the basic navigation buttons (Back, Fwd, Stop, Refresh, Home) and the URL textbox. I get maximum functionality with minimum wasted space. Can I do this in IE7? No.

I'd be willing to put up with having a third row dedicated to tabs (though I might find a way to use up empty space next to the Google Toolbar by putting the tabs there) but I can't make it work for me. It has to be a joke -- I'm waiting for Microsoft to say "Just kidding guys, here's the REAL IE7", or perhaps more likely "Sorry guys, we accidentally posted the Alpha testing version, here's the final version".

Or I can use Firefox and kiss half my RAM goodbye, or I can use Opera and kiss my compatibility goodbye, or I can install Linux and kiss ALL of my existing software goodbye. What a deal.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

What did you expect from Microsoft? I used to be a diehard IE user until I switched to Firefox and I will never go back. While Firefox does consume a bit of RAM, I have an old Thinkpad with 768 MB of RAM, and it works fine, only taking up 30 - 40 MB, which, IMO, isn't enough to make a difference. :dunno:

3. k2737

k2737 Active Member

30-40MB for a web browser is crazy. I use IE7 at work and its fine with me...then again I am not the type of person that has to customize everything.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I used it a bit but I won't be switching over from Opera anytime soon. I don't think I could live without mouse gestures:bowdown:

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I've never seen Firefox use more than 250Mb RAM, and when it goes that high it's always with the Firefox 3 nightlies (and that was ages ago - it doesn't use shit all RAM anymore).

You mentioned before that you have gigabytes of RAM. Good luck getting Firefox to use half of that!

Firefox 2 should be out tomorrow :x:

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

IE7 works fine here...

7. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

8. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I don't really like it. I just saw an article where they said IE7 is catching up with competitors. :>

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I would hate the toolbar changes. I've gotten used to tailoring my toolbar
    just the way I like it. In fact, it's why I use it over firefox most of the time.

And I'm not hearing the best news about Vista lately, either.

A guy I work with gave me a patch today that will let me install OSX on my new Core 2 Duo build.
    I'm going to give that a shot and if I like it, I might never go with Vista.

10. deusexaethera

Any chance you want to host that patch? That sounds like it might be a fun (cough)product evaluation tool(cough).

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Check your pm's.

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Uhh, it wasn't many months ago that you were arguing that copyright infringement (+ violating the DMCA in this case) was plain and simply wrong. If I interpreted that wrong, then I am glad (I know this is how jolly felt, but unfortuently I can't remember everything).

IMO, the parent company of an OS that restricts that OS to use in on their own hardware, does nothing less than kill that OS as a good choice in the OS market (especially when, much to the dismay of Apple, there are other good choices out there). Bleh.

13. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

good god IE7 sucks... i had been using one of the beta builds and decided to download the full today.

the beta was actually better, less install time, you can move toolbars still. i mean seriously, you shouldnt EVER want to go back to a beta build of software because it was better then the final product

14. deusexaethera

I have no problem with paying for a Macbook if I end up likingOSX. But I don't buy anything I can't try first. And no, the Apple Store doesn't count -- it takes more than a half hour to get used to a new OS.

One of the weird quirks in my personality is that, while I'm very protective of the right to be paid for work done, I don't really care which order the work and the payment happen in. I have mp3s on my hard drive that I bought the CD for only after listening to the music for years, because I decided that I'd enjoyed the music enough to pay for it. With OSX, I'm damn well going to see if it suits my needs before buying the proper hardware to run it on.

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I think that's the human effect. I wonder does jolly and everybody have it too at times, but just find it convenient to forget about it when it comes to internet forums.

16. AO

AO New Member

Did you google for IE7 registry hacks?

http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archive/2006/01/31/521542.aspx :
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips991.html :

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  17. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

18. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

You shouldn't have to hack the damn registry in order to get functionality that should have been built in to begin with.

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The MS guys explain it as a security feature (no shit). They wanted the address bar to always be in the exact same place and not be "spoofable" by spy/adware toolbars and such. Personally I think it was a fucking stupid thing to do, but whatever. It's my biggest beef with 7.

Other than that, yes I use it and I like it.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I actually bought an old G3 on ebay so I could play with OSX (which I, um, acquired separately) and see if I wanted to buy a new Mac. Based on that I think I'm going to pick up a Mac for my next PC purchase. I'm definitely buying one for my parents next box.

21. deusexaethera

Not much of a fucking security feature if a simple, and widely-available, Registry hack will fix it. Fucking Microsoft. Think they'll give up on that little security feature in a few weeks?

22. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I wish they'd do that with XP's Windows Explorer. I work on other people's computers all the time. (People who've never changed anything from the default.) Its so damn annoying to have to turn on the address bar, then unlock the toolbars, then drag it down to where its actually visible. All just to see the folder path I'm in. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have the address bar appear all the way over to the right without the actual address box visible? :wtf: Microsoft?

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The funny thing is that it's microsoft's registry setting that allows you to move it down. AFAIK you still can't hide it. More annoying is not being able to move the toolbar with the buttons for Home, Tools, Print, etc. Cramming it on the same level as the tabs sucks.

24. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Obviously MS doesn't value visual customisation of their web-browser, so if you're a customisation freak IE will be dangerous. Oh well.

25. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

IE7 + maxthon2 FTW