Has anybody here obtained a software patent?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Nov 12, 2003.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I'm going to make a guess here, but I'd say there's one person (if that) on this site that has done this.

2. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

why do you ask?

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Oh, I very well know that you can only patent certain functions of your software/app.

Can I speak with you over AIM later tonight? You're pretty much in the same boat as I am in.

4. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

booooooooooooooooo-urns :o

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've briefly looked into it. But patents cost CASH!

Last time I checked it was something like $10k or more. You either end up paying the lawyer to search if someone beat you to it or pay the patent office to research it (and sometimes I think you have to do both). But don't quote me on it. If you guys find its cheaper, let me know.

What is a bit easier is copyrighting. By default, all work you produce (including software) is automatically copyrighted by you the moment you create it (nifty!). You don't have to do any paperwork and you can include the copyright symbol right in the app. But if you think there's even a slight chance of being fought in court, then have the copyright officially submitted to the gov't. Then when it goes to court, the submittal date will be used to determine who created the work first.