has a tow truck ever messed up your car while towing your car?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SRd240sx, Sep 11, 2006.

1. SRd240sx

SRd240sx New Member

I'm 100% certain the tow company damaged my mom's car. She got into an accident and coolant was leaking because the radiator was cracked, although it wasn't that bad.. but it wasn't minor either. Front end damage, she rear ended somebody Anyway, the cop told me to drive it to the shoulder. Well I realized the coolant was leaking, but it wasn't too bad. I start the engine, drive it to the side, and shut it off right away. Everything was still ok, temp gauge needle was right in the middle.

So the tow truck driver comes, hooks everything up (front wheels in the air) and tows it to our house. It was a 30 minute drive. He was following me... and when we got there, I noticed the engine was smoking! The car had apparently been running the whole time he was towing it. The water temp gauge was all the way at H. I shut it off immediately.

He stated that he did not turn on the car, but instead just put the ignition in the ON position and put it in neutral.
    Anyhow, I told him to sign a paper stating exactly what happened, but he declined. He offered to charge me 1 hour instead of 2 if I dropped this, but I said no. I asked for his boss's name and number and he gives it to me. I pay him, and he leaves.

Ten minutes later, I put the car in the ON position to see if the water temp was still too hot to drive, but it went back to the middle... I start it, and move it a few feet since the tow truck driver put it in a bad position in our driveway. The car now makes a loud knocking noise.

I'm pretty sure the engine is damaged in some way. We will find out when we get a new radiator and put in new coolant (the rest of the car seems fine).

Anyway, how hard would it be to prove that the tow company is liable? I have a feeling they will just deny it and say it was caused by the accident. What do you guys think? We're pretty much f'd huh?

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Your car insurance will cover any damage done by the tow company, since it is in relation to the accident. Tow companies often do alot of damage, but I've never heard of this one before.

And if you don't have car insurance... you're fucked.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Moral of the story - Women cant drive

4. BajaDak

BajaDak If you have poo......fling it now

tell your mom to stop tailgating.