Harmony Remotes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Jun 25, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I heard some good things about them and actually ended up buying a cheap version of one. It is the "628" model. I figure if I am happy with the product, then I will spring and go for one of the "better" models for my main home theater/tv room.

What do you guys think about them, is there anything I should know before I start to program the one I have?
    Thanks all

2. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

I got one awhile back for Christmas this was somewhere around $250 bucks.
    I've have it a half year or so. Its insane, and ive yet to even start to use what it has to offer.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Wow this thing is great...I just got it today and set up my home theater and its amazing how you don't even have to set a macros to do multiple tasks with one button. I know what you mean about not even using what it has to offer. Mine is just the cheap Harmony Remote (but still does everything I need), I may have to splurge and go for an even nicer one (pictures and all the features I prolly wont use lol) for my main home theater room.

4. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

I have the 520.. I love it, got rid of FIVE remotes.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've had the sony commander for about 3 yrs now. i love it. it's the RM-AV3000, older, but does all that i need it too, and more. wish i had IR receivers for my lights. lol

6. Memphis

Memphis Active Member

we just got my dad the 880 for fathers day, have the TV/DVD/DVR/and Ionic Fan all tied to it, so nice :o

7. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

I just want a remote that can work with my digital cable. I wish you could program A yellow trianle B blue square and C red cirle buttons.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

U most likely can...i haven't figured out all the quirks yet with my harmony remote, but I know that you can change the buttons on the LCD screen and configure it to even say blue red and yellow.

9. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

Harmonys have a learn feature, so if you have the orginal remote you can teach the Harmony. The software is very user friendly and not hard to set-up. I have a 688 and control a JVC 52" TV, DirecTV Hd Receiver, DirecTV Tivo, Philips DVP-642 DVD player, Toshiba VCR, Yamaha Reciever, and my PS2. Total programing took about 45 minutes intially, and another probably 30 since then to change around buttons, and teach the harmony a few it didn't know.

any questions just ask.

10. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

But does it have the option to make the buttons circles, squares or triangles?

11. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

No, but it does have A B C buttons, and learning capability. And, if all else fails, you can call their support and they can help program it for you. I've had the 676 for a while and absolutely love it since it can handle anything I throw at it as far as devices and commands.

12. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I saw the 676 at Sam's Club Saturday for $100... and picked up one on ebay for $60 yesterday. Should have it by the end of the week. I'll have a DTV receiver, Sony 50" TV/DVD/Receiver and Kenwood CD changer to through at it right off. Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes will control XBox functions (with remote receiver, of course)?

13. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

Yes they will control and xbox, or ps2

14. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Awesome... now I just need the house I sold to close so I can get my new TV to go with my new remote. :)