Hardware or Case ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LongDongWong, Apr 30, 2004.

1. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

Im trying to figure out a problem with this computer. It consists of Asus A7V333 motherboard generic case and AMD processor speed unknown.....
    I connected everything thats needs to be connected......but it does not want to turn on.......on board LED power light on motherboard lights up when power is switched on, but computer does not want to boot up when you push the power button on the case....How would I fgure out if its the case power button that is the problem???

2. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

You can make sure the connector from the button on the case is plugged in and into the right slot on the mobo. Also, you can take the plug off the motherboard and just short the two terminals on the board, which will check to make sure the switch isn't malfunctioning for some reason.

When doing that, double check that you're shorting the two that say "PWR BTN" or something to that effect.

It also could be the power supply. There are two terminals on the power supply harness that plugs into the motherboard that you can short to check that the power supply works ok. I forget which ones those are, but I'm sure you could google that one out.

HTH

Dan

3. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

excuse my ignorance.......but how do you short a wire or terminal??

4. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

The power plug in the case has a two-terminal female connector on the end. It slides on the connector on the motherboard (male end). Those two prongs on the motherboard can be shorted with something as simple as a screwdriver. But you can use anything of a metal

As for the power supply, if you find out the two leads you need to short, you can use a small piece of wire or paperclip to short it. If it works, the fan on the power supply will turn on.