hardware firewall

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mace, Oct 17, 2006.

1. mace

mace i don't read

does anyone know of a firewall that allows for whitelists?

like say I only way to allow access to a limited number of domains and block everything else out.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

3. mace

mace i don't read

well i'm looking for more of a hardware solution where everything is included and is designed to be a firewall. i know i could just load smoothwall on an old pc, but that's just kinda tacky.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I'd guess that there's hardware firewalls you can buy that run Smoothwall.

I'd also hope that pretty much all half-decent hardware firewalls support whitelisting in this way.

Look for a suitable hardware firewall and find out if it supports it (use google, manufacturers site, whatever), or wait until hopefully some people here can recommend decent ones...

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

For a totally free firewall, if you have an old computer sitting around, you can download almost any distribution of Linux and use it as a firewall. If you d/l Ubuntu, you can d/l firestarter to manage the connections or just modify the files yourself. If you don't want to do that, you'll prolly want to buy one.

How big is your white list??? Is this for commercial or personal use??

6. mace

mace i don't read

well my uncle owns an insurance business and he's having trouble with employee's going to websites and getting the computers infected with crap. I think they only go to the corporate website to do all their work, hence why I think a firewall with a whitelist would be the best idea.

7. mace

mace i don't read

well they don't have an intranet.

You see he has like 30 something stores in the dfw area and they all connect to a website to do their work. I think that's how it is, i'm not all that familiar with their setup. They do use linksys wireless routers, so you're saying I could just load up some custom firmware that can do a whitelist?

8. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

+1 for smoothwall. It serves my company very well.

9. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

and, if you're concerned with aesthetics and 'tackiness'.. then buy a nice slimline case.. Hell, you can even get a media center case. It doesn't have to look like a conventional pc.

Go rackmount and have it on a shelf?

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Define crap. Viruses?? Adware?? What are you talking about.

If you have a reoccuring virus problem then it's not your router that's to blame, it's your virus scan software package that's the problem. If you are using McAfee then that IS your problem and you should seriously switch to Norton Corporate Edition.

Norton Corporate is different than the desktop version and it's very good!

Until you define crap, this may or may not be true. This is your current working theory and that fine but you should be more specific about the problem you are trying to solve.

Viruses can be amazingly persistent and difficult to get rid of. Particularly in a networked environment where the virus can spread to servers then reinfect desktops when the infected file is accessed again.

11. mace

mace i don't read

Well say a user goes to myspace and clicks a link that goes to a malicious site that exploits a flaw in internet explorer and then in turn causes the computer to become infected with spyware. That's what I mean.

The computers run win2k and are restricted to install stuff, but that's not going to stop exploits against ie.