Hardware diagnostic programs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Back in the early 90's we used to have a program we ran on machines to test the hardware was OK.

Just had a quick Google and it seems some similar programs still exist. I'm hoping to be getting my hands on a second hand laptop in a couple weeks, so would like to run some tests on the machine before I hand over the cash.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone has used any such programs recently, and which ones are the best. Free/open source programs ideally, but others if especially good.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the program we used to use, we just called it the 'diags disc',lol.

Thanks!

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Dell Diags

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seagate seatools will test the hdd. memtest86+ will test the memory. If it has a working windows install, use prime95 to stress the cpu and test thermals.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Other than that, Device Manager can tell you if something isn't working right. Most of the once-obvious stuff (IRQs, DMAs, memory holes) is all handled automagically now, so it's pretty much down to bad drivers and good old-fashioned broken parts.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX