Hardware Diagnostic CD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. Monopoly, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

I'm having problems with the wife's MB. It's stopped recognizing the ethernet port having a cable plugged into it. I've checked with different cables, made sure the internet didn't have any settings that would screw the computer, etc. In the Network preferences, it shows no cable connected even when there is, and if I literally slam it in, it'll show no IP address for like a second, then go back to no connection. I've even deleted the interface, but no luck. I want to say from my PC experience that the ethernet jack is screwed, but I want to use the apple hardware diagnostic disc to find out for sure. The original partition that contained it was deleted when we repartitioned for Leopard, and the eBay special didn't come with it's original CDs. Is there anywhere I can download this diagnostic set? I don't really mind about the legality issue.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I don't know if the OS CD supports networking at all but try booting from that and see. Or try getting a LiveCD of some other OS like Linux that is known to support the Mac hardware right out of the box and see what happens. The idea being to narrow down if it's a software or hardware issue.

I know TechTools is a hardware test software suite but I'm not sure it'll test from a bootable disc or not. But it's something to look into.