Hardly Muscle.. Buuuut 96-02 Eldo's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by McLovin, Jan 7, 2008.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

I'm looking for a new DD, I've been driving an '02 GMC 2500 SLT up 'til now.

In Cadillac fashion they're full of electronicsensorthisandthat's and I’m concerned that in typical GM ageing shit will start failing, expensive shit. Anybody own one? I imagine with 300hp/FWD they under steer like mad, but it's no race car so I can deal with that.

I like the STS's too, but they don't have the class of the coupes. There are lots of reviews around online of when they were new, but not much 5 years after the fact. A lot of the ones listed for sale seem to be high mileage which is a good thing, but I guess that's expected from the Northstar. I'm more concerned about the gizmo's/electronic suspension/trac control/etc etc...

Any opinions/experiences?
    [​IMG]

Tx,
    A

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Fareo

Fareo New Member

welcome to OT

dont really know alot about the STS's buddys dad had one, they seem nice but, have you ever thought about the licolin mark 8's? RWD, powered by a mustang, with caddy like style?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ive almost got one of these many times, typically you can get one owned by grandpa with low well maintained miles and most of the engine mods should just be the same as the mustang, only draw back, in my opinion, is they're only automatics .

:dunno:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Eldorados aren't really loaded with electronics or anything that will go bad. I owned a '99 Deville that's pretty much the same car with four doors and had no issues with it whatsoever. If you find a nice one it will be a great daily driver.

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Only a few things to worry about. Window regulators, which are an easy fix, and the Northstar head gaskets, which are nearly impossible to fix by yourself, and usually just require a long block swap. Most speculate that it was a combination of dex cool, and improper head bolt torque that caused the problem. 96-99 cars seemed to have the most problems with this, while post 2000 cars have significantly less trouble. Even so, these problems are nothing to worry about since they effect relatively few cars.

So far my 01 DTS seems to get about 18.5mpg combined with about 24mpg on the hiway.

5. McLovin

McLovin New Member

Thanks,

I like The Mk VIII, especially that it's RWD. They seem to be nearly as hard to find as the Eldo's though.. If I stumbled upon one I'd certainly take a closer look.

Thanks for the input.

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

bought mine on ebay for 4300 bucks man, hasn't given me a bit of trouble