Harddrive screwed!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by parvo99, Sep 7, 2003.

1. parvo99

parvo99 New Member

I woke up yeseterday to find a nice blue screen on my XP machine. Anyways, I tried to reboot and got a disk read error. To make a long story short, I messed with the MBR, and it went from an NTFS, to a FAT partition, and nothin was readable. I reloaded a new harddrive, and tried to read the old one, but it doesn't show any files. Am I screwed, or is there a way to change it so it's recognized as an NTFS partition again, so I can read the files?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

going NTFS -> FAT32 is retarded in the 1st place.

you (more then likely) overwrote the file system info (F.A.T.) and lost everything.

if ur daring, u can re-convert it to NTFS in 2k or xp by going to console and typing:

Code:
    C:\> CONVERT  D:  /fs:ntfs

D: being ur old hdd, use whatever letter is assigned to it.

u may be able to do it in a recovery console...

3. parvo99

parvo99 New Member

I didn't mean to change the partition info. I put in the XP install cd and tried to do a "repair", and it asked if I wanted to restore the MBR, so I said yes. When I got the new hard drive installed and hooked up my old one as a slave, I noticed that it was recognized as a fat file system. I tried the "convert" command. Didn't work. Said I didn't have enough space? It's a 40gb hard drive, and it shows as a 40gb hard drive, but the fat info says it's 10gb with 7gb used...