Harddrive or PSU?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, Dec 10, 2004.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I've got my antec trupower 550. I've got one of those new raptor drives as well. I'll be surfing the web or doing some low stress work and the computer will die. Upon further observation, it sounded like the harddrive would shutdown and it would then freeze. I have tried running the HD on different wires and have had all my fans disconnected and cdrom's disconnected too. What could it be?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

is the raptor on a raid controller? raid controllers do not usually like power management.

Is it a truepower or a truecontrol? the truecontrol MUST have the rheostats conected.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How old is the power supply? I had similar hard drive problems with a machine I worked on this week. In my case, the power supply died and when I replaced it, all of problems I was working on were fixed.

I have a power supply tester I got from CompUSA for a few bucks that comes in handy sometimes...

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if that psu tester is what I think it is, it usually will not help with this issue. They check if it'll turn on/off, but when the problem is voltage fluctuations or intermittent issues they are mostly useless.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The one I have has 6 lights that represent voltages and stuff. If they all light up, it's fine, if one or more of the lights are out, something may be wrong.

You don't even need a tester to see if it turns on or not...

Either way, it comes in pretty handy for me.

6. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

The PSU is about a year old. I don't have raid-just a SATA card. It's a trupower. All my voltages check out fine.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

possibly a driver issue. but more likely, windows is power managing the drive, and the card doesn't like that. Not uncommon. Try right clicking your desktop and going to the screen saver tab and open up power management. Tell it to never turn off your hard drives and see if that helps.

8. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I've been running this setup for a long time though. I had it on the HD's would stay on the entire time (I fold).