Harddrive issue/question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mac, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

i have a relatively old hardrive (maxtor from 2003) as my system drive and i think its the bottle neck in my system right now. ive been having weird issues with programs taking up massive amounts of ram for no reason..i made a thread about it a month ago and we couldnt figure out the cause. some ppl suggested i memtest the ram, which i finally did and it came back with no errors so the only other older component in the pc is that drive. link to drive
    (before u ask, it isnt a software issue because i just DBANned that drive and the shit still happens. anyway, what i wanna do is grab a new sata drive to use as my system drive. but, my media drive which is also new is IDE, can i have one SATA and one IDE drive in the same mobo? i have the Asus P4V8X-MX

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, that board should support one SATA and one IDE drive. However, I'm not convinced that's where the problem is. Programs taking up massive amounts of RAM is not a problem with hardware. It could be a device driver, or a bug within the program. I honestly don't think that switching to a new drive would resolve the issue.

3. Mac

have u ever heard of a common driver that could have an effect like this?

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

It could be anything really... most likely video or audio drivers.

5. Mac

i recently replaced the mobo and vid card (brands changed as well) but i was having this issue beforehand. so that rules out audio and video. is it possible theres a corrupt file on the xp cd im using?