harddrive crashed... quick question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eat Shit, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

so last night my internal sata drive crashed. i spent the last couple of hours trying to get it to boot windows with no luck. im hoping i can use an older ata harddrive i have with an sata to ide adapter to boot windows as it already has xp on it. now once i get booted up . is it going to possible for me when to acess any of the data if i plug the sata drive into one of the other sata ports on my motherboard. every bit of research i done online seems to make it that simple. is this an option? he so any thing else i need to know or do. sorry for the shitty typing im on my pda

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Depends on how it 'crashed', if the OS took a dump booting to another drive and accessing the data on that bad drive is possible. If the drive was clicking or making any other odd noises before it stopped working there is a good chance it's gone. It certianly won't hurt to try it, at this point you have nothing to loose.

3. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Yea the OS is fubared, no sounds or nothing of that sort from the drive itself. I wont let me run bootcfg or chkdsk as it says unrecoverable errors, and it wont let me run a windows repair install unfortunatly.

Once i get it up and running on the other drive, how do i access the other drive specifically? Will I be able to just click on it from My computer or what...

Im hoping this other drive i have here,will even work. Its out of an older computer.

Thankfully I had the majority of my info on an external drive, but i still had some things on the internal drive.

Last resort, can I install windows on a drive that i used for storage without deleting everything i had on the drive?

4. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Try Ultimate Boot CD That worked for me.

5. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Yea i just downloaded that boot cd, havent tried it yet. Probaly will now.

The other hard drive i just popped in doesnt seem to be working, the computer sticks at the first screen that says press f2 to enter Bios, wont even let me enter bios

6. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

ah fuckl someone help.

Ultmate boot cd wont work on the messed up HD.

I cant boot on the extra harddrive, it has a working copy of winxp on it.
    IT boots to the f8 screen and the resets itself, just eeps rebooting back to the same screen, wont boot in safe mode, nothing....
    any ideas.

7. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

I think I just had a similar problem. I couldn't get past the boot screen. It was in an endless loop. Same problem with an ide hard drive from a working computer.
    I was ready to give up on the computer until someone told me to use Knoppix. It is a bootable Linux cd that runs the os completely off the cd.
    I was able to access all my stuff and burn it using the included software.
    The computer works great now that it has been formatted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix
    Grab it off a torrent site. It only took 45min to download the cd version.

It worked great for me, but maybe someone has a better idea.

Good luck.

8. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Im trying to run testdisk off of the ultimate boot cd, not very familiar with how to work with any of this stuff on it though. I see everywhere people where able to boot windows using it, but i have no idea how they did exactly, theres plenty of tool sand options within it

Im sure i wont get anywhere with it either, i'll start dl'ing knoppix, i dont know what linux is at all.

9. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Neither did I. I figured it was worth a try though. I spent 10-20 mins browsing around figuring out where everything was and what I could use to burn dvd's.
    Just take your time if it works for you. It's a little different compared to XP.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you have to replace your disk, spend the extra bucks and invest in a mirror or a RAID. (don't bust my ass about drawing a distinction between the two.) With a RAID, your data access will be much faster, and with either a mirror or a RAID, your data will be safe if one of the disks goes to the hereafter. It's expensive to install one, but on anybody's salary it shouldn't be more than a few days' pay, and compared to the amount of time it takes to rebuild a computer (or even worse, gather all of that data all over again), a few days' pay is a good deal. I've had ONE hard drive fail on me over the years, and I will never again go unprotected.

(muses about all the times he woke up as a child to find out the second hard drive in his parents' old computer, where he used to store all his programming stuff, had gotten wiped out due to an OS upgrade gone wrong)

No backup mechanism can compare to the convenience of simply unplugging the old, burnt-out drive and plugging a new one in. And while I'm on the topic, System Restore can't hold a candle to Roxio GoBack (now Symantec GoBack), which can revert every single bit of data on your hard drive if you get a virus or a corrupt driver.

11. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

So i got knoppix running, cant firgure out really what to do with it, its showing jumble under my drive.

But here the main problem if anyone can shed some light.
    Ive finally got acces to the crashed drive, Was able to plug it into another Sata supported computer as well as my sata to usb adapter.

The drive shows up, but shows two partitions one with 4.5g thats accessible and fat32. the second partition is showing up as a 10.1mb and FAT. The second partition is the one with the data and its got over 110g of info on it and i know for a fact its NTFS with at least 180g of space, why is it seeing with so little capacity and FAT file system and not NTFS? please help