hard to eat enough due to full time job?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lexsynergy, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexsynergy

lexsynergy Active Member

trying to build mass..i've put on 10 solid pounds in the past month... i would say my best gains came when i had a week of vacation, and all i did was eat and work out...since my job is very demanding, there isn't a lot of time for eating and i'm always on the go.. The only thing i eat in the morning is 6 egg whites and then all day, which is usually around a 10 hr day, i just have a couple of protein shakes.. usually when i get home, i hit the gym then eat pretty big before bed, but is seems like i'm fighting a up hill battle since the job is stressful and hard to maintain everything.

2. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

What? No lunch break? Pretty sure that's required by law.

And you can pack lunches and keep it in a cooler if necessary, just munch when you have time.

3. Mass

Mass Active Member

I dislike a lot of things about my job, but the nice part is, I work in grocery stores across the city so I always have access to awesome stuff.

4. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

and your job would be...?

5. Mass

Mass Active Member

wine sales

6. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Cook meals for 3-4 days at a time and bring them with you to work. By law you are required 2 15 minute paid breaks and a half hr unpaid lunch I believe for an 8 Hr shift (at least in California). space them out 3 hrs apart and eat your food... I've never had a problem when working with that

7. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Cooking up several pounds of food at once is the way to go. I don't get how people can break out the skillet and baking pan and the mixing bowl and all that shit every single night. I'll cook up maybe 5 pounds of meat and mix it in with some rice and vegetables and that'll feed me for half a week, and all I have to do is throw it in the microwave.

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

:bowdown:

If you ever have to hit up whole foods you must be eating pretty good.

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

You need bring more portable stuff to work that you can keep in a drawer, fridge, or backpack. Make it before work or the night before and you're good.

1) Peanut butter sandwiches. Get 2 slices of whole grain bread (I like nature's pride) and add a couple tbsp's of PB and then a bit of honey. It's calorie dense, delicious, and extremely portable.

2) Make some chicken breast and whole grain pasta. Make enough for like 3 days in advance. Get some tupperware and add chicken + pasta + dried herbs like oregano and basil + lots of olive oil. It tastes good cold so you can keep it in the fridge.

3) Keep a good amount of beef jerky on hand at your desk.

4) Low fat string cheese and nuts like peanuts of almonds. Have a couple pieces of string cheese with a handful of almonds and that's a pretty decent snack.

5) Keep deli meat and cheese at work and make sandwiches.

6) Protein bars

10. thespazz

thespazz New Member

Eating on the go sucks, but it's very doable. I cook in advance for at least a week. When I start to run low, I start cooking again.

11. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

its hard, i just started working 8 hour days where i am really busy, 40 hours a week plus training clients on my two off days, takes time to adjust, you have to cook in advance like people have said and that is absolutely awful after a long days work, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

i bring two massive shakes (whey, natty pb, oats, olive oil, blueberries) with me, and 2 solid food meals, chicken brocc, brown rice and eat all 4 spread out over 2 hour periods

12. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Working a full-time job can make things harder, but there's always a workaround, for the most part.

I think the only times where it sucked for me was when I was on the field, working with hazardous waste. Had to have nitrile gloves on at all times and sometimes workdays would last 12-14 hours on occasion.

13. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

The easiest thing that I've found to cook ahead of time and snack on throughout the day are things like sloppy joes, pulled pork, etc.

14. controlled labs

controlled labs New Member

get yourself some golden gains to drink throughout the day

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

people like this are the only people who have an excuse.

If you work a desk job full time and can't gain weight you have no excuse. Most people who work at a desk do this uninentionally so it's easy enough.

i understand with people that do intense physical labour though. my bricklaying buddy puts down over 4,000 cals a day with no gains ,

16. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Have your mom cook for you and put it in a tupperware

17. themolsen

themolsen New Member

pb sandwiches, nuts, protein bars and beef jerky. none require refrigeration and are excellent protein/calories/low fat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.