Hard drive won't show up!?!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KyngNothing, Jul 2, 2003.

1. KyngNothing

KyngNothing My own little world...

Hi, long time lurker, need help....

would appreciate any ideas...

To make a long story short, my computer broke recently, and while i was fixing it i ended up using my girlfriend's as a "parts tester" of sorts. In the process, her hard drive stopped working. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the drive, but it won't detect in the POST as an IDE drive, no matter where i have the jumpers or which cable it's on... I've tried it on my computer, on both IDE cables, and nothing...

All the data recovery places seem to charge hundreds of dollars (which i don't have), but she would like to have her stuff off of here... any suggestions?

2. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

If you're sure on the correctness of the jumpers but does not POST, it may be gone. Did you drop or bang it prior?

what kind of drive is it? go over the jumpers again because some drives go jumperless for certain config. doesnt sound right.

3. KyngNothing

KyngNothing My own little world...

It got jostled a lot during the testing (switching computers a lot etc), but no big falls...

It's a western Digital 33gB

My fear is that while it was on i shorted some of the contacts on the bottom of the drive or something, and fried it? :(

4. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

WD doesn't even have harddrives that size, they have a 33gb platter, but not a complete kit itself.

it's possible you could have harmed it. try clearing your cmos on your motherboard to set everything back to default, then try again. but be ready to face the reality that your drive may have seen its last days.

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

So what exactly does it do when you turn your computer on? Does it give you an error or what? Let me know and i might be able to help.