Hard Drive Troubles

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lothore, May 30, 2006.

1. Lothore

Lothore New Member

I bought an iogear external hard drive and it was working fantastically untill today it dropped off my desk and now when it is turned on it just makes three beeping noises over and over. Is there any way i could get the stuff off the drive or do you think its totally broken. 50 gigs of music and a semesters worth of projects down the drain :(

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

open it up. You can check if a cable is lose. Otherwise, remove the drive and plug it in internally to your computer to copy data off, or transfer to a new computer. If the enclosure was off when it fell (hdd parked) then it may be okay.

3. Lothore

Lothore New Member

taking it apart voids the warranty, think i should proceed anyway? would they be able to tell i dropped it?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's not physically damaged, no.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The bigger question regarding the warranty is whether or not the company that made the external drive could pull your data off the drive and return it to you if you sent it in. If not, then the only way to save your data is to pop the case and fix it yourself.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Usually it's not a case of whether they can, they just simply won't - they'll give you a completely different drive that was RMA'd.

7. Lothore

Lothore New Member

gah i guess whats on the hard drive can be replaced, id rather not take a 175 dollar gamble when in all probability it isnt something ill be able to fix. man this sucks. oh well. thanks for the comments guys