Hard Drive swapping question...im not too smart

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NYM3, May 26, 2004.

1. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

I have a lot of crap on my old Pentium 2 garbage ass computer. Its running windows 95. I want to get this data to my new computer...i dont want to buy a writable CD drive for this comp thats going in the garbage.

I tried hooking the computers up via a serial connection...but the old computer doesnt want to let that work.

The old computer also fails to read its USB ports...so my little USB memory stick wont work either

My new Dell has XP....if the hardware matches up...can I just swap the hard drive from the old comp into my new comp as a secondary drive? Or will I lose all my info doing that?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. accord 4 me

accord 4 me Goooooooooooooooogle

just put the old hard drive in the new computer and make it a slave and youre good to go

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes, the hardware will match up - you need to set the jumpers on both hard drives (new and old) to either a) BOTH be CS (cable select) or b) new harddrive as MA/MS (master) and old as SL (slave).

If you use cable select the master drive (new) needs to be at the very end of the ribbon cable, the old drive would be in the middle. With master/slave it doesn't matter.

Do that and you'll be good to go :)

4. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

yep, just put it in as a slave. Or, put the CD writer from the new Dell into the old computer and do it that way but that is to much effort.

5. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

actually, only Windows95 OSR service release 1 does not.

6. NYM3

Thanks everyone...I'll crack em open tonight and see what it looks like.

how will i know how what positions to set the jumpers? Is it marked ont the HD's?

Sorry im a little slow :wtc:

Thanks again...very helpful

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

Yes, on the HD there should be 3 or 4 pairs of jumpers. U should see labels such as CS(cable select), MA(Master), SL(Slave)... somewhere around the area of the jumpers. It isnt too difficult to see and figure out once u are looking directly at it.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

And if the jumpers aren't labeled, and the sticker on the drive doesn't help, just to a search on the maker of the HDD's site or even call their tech support.

9. NYM3

THANKS EVERYONE...i got it to work with the jumpers and using the MS and SL jumper setups.

Now I can throw out my old computer...or leave it in the garage for use when working on my car :bigthumb: