Hard Drive Swaping

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vcoke17, Sep 16, 2005.

1. vcoke17

vcoke17 New Member

I have a older computer and the video card just stopped working on me and I have another computer where the rest of the computer is good but the hard drive. They both run on Windows 98 and I was wondering if I could just swap the hard drives.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yes, but you'll probabably need/want to reinstall Windows. When you try to boot up that drive in the other machine, it will blue screen. You could fuck with it for hours in safe mode, rebooting, trying to load drivers. It may work. It may never work right. Assuming the machine isn't too ancient (which it may be given you're still runnning '98) this might be a good opportunity to install XP clean. If you turn off all the extra GUI candy, its really no more resource hungry than 2000.

3. vcoke17

vcoke17 New Member

I dont think that this can handle xp this thing is a pII 350mhz with 64mb of ram. I really dont want to reformat because I want the files on this hard drive so is it worth it to copy all the files to a cd and just buy a whole new hd and start over.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah definitely not a candidate for XP. You wouldn't have to reformat. Just install 98 again to c:\windows2 instead of c:\windows. All of your files will be there but the apps won't won't w/o a reload.