Hard Drive stuck in PIO Mode *help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vineyard311, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

Anyone have this problem? Its happened before but I cant remember how to fix it.

Basically I reformatted my harddrive and started over, everything is fine until I install the Windows XP Service Pack 1. Then my harddrive is stuck in PIO mode instead of DMA. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the primary and secondary IDE channels, but no luck so far.

Anyone have any tips?

Im running Windows XP and a 80gb Western Digital Harddrive and Asus P4PE Motherboard.

2. Intel Application Accelerator!

3. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

really! Thats one program I didnt install from the Motherboard CD :uh:

4. Awesome program, should fix all your problems and then some. Give it a shot and let us know if that fixes the problem.

5. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

It works perfect now, thanks a ton.

Ive been messing around with this for over an hour.

6. Tommy

Tommy Long Member Standing

Never heard of that program. What does it do?

7. The Intel® Application Accelerator is a new performance software package for Intel desktop PCs.

Intel Application Accelerator also provides:
    Faster Boot Time via Accelerated Operating System Load Time
    Accelerated Disk I/O for Games, Graphics Applications, Disk Utilities, and Media Authoring Applications
    Performance-enhancing Data Pre-fetcher for Intel® Pentium® 4 processor-based systems
    Support for 137GB and larger hard drives

Requires:

Must have previously installed the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility on your system
    Windows* Millennium Edition (Me), Windows Second Edition (SE), Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT* 4.0, or Windows XP Operating System
    A motherboard with a supported chipset
    An Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Pentium III, Intel Pentium II, Intel Celeron®, Intel Xeon™, Intel Pentium III Xeon, or Intel Pentium II Xeon processor
    Ultra ATA/66 or Ultra ATA/100 compatible logic either on the motherboard, or on an Ultra DMA PCI adapter card
    Ultra DMA compatible BIOS
    Ultra ATA/66 or Ultra ATA/100-compatible IDE device such as a hard drive or CD-ROM
    A 40-pin, 80-conductor IDE cable. (A 40-pin 40-conductor IDE cable can be used with the Intel® Application Accelerator, but the 40-pin 40-conductor cable will limit the device to a maximum transfer rate of Ultra ATA/33)
    Supported Chipsets

The Intel® Application Accelerator supports the following Intel® chipsets:

Intel® 810 Chipset
    Intel® 810E Chipset
    Intel® 810E2 Chipset
    Intel® 815 Chipset
    Intel® 815E Chipset
    Intel® 815EP Chipset
    Intel® 815P Chipset
    Intel® 820 Chipset
    Intel® 820E Chipset
    Intel® 840 Chipset
    Intel® 845 Chipset
    Intel® 850 Chipset
    Intel® 860 Chipset

8. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

I thought it was running good, but whenever windows boots , the music is all crackly and shit.

It only does that when its still in PIO mode.

9. I'm confused, are you saying it works now, or you're still in PIO mode? If even with the software, it's reporting you in PIO mode, then there may be a jumper mistake on your HD, or you're using the incorrect cable for your HD.

Biggest thing IAA did for me is fix my problem with Media Player, which was playing Divx movies all herky-jerky. After it was installed, all was well.