Hard Drive Speeds Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redeemer988, Mar 24, 2005.

1. redeemer988

redeemer988 New Member

I'm going to buy a new laptop sometime soon and I just had a quick question about laptop hard drive speeds. I plan on buying a Toshiba Satellite M35x S161 laptop off my friend and I noticed the hard drive speed is 4200RPM. I'm a student and no gaming will be done on this thing, I plan mainly on using this thing for storing media (music and movies), surfing the web, and using MS Word. Now, what I want to know, should I upgrade the hard drive to a faster speed? IE buy a faster hard drive off the company and swap it with the old hard drive. Or for my uses is the 4200RPM good enough?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for what you want, 4200rpm is fine, and will yield better battery life. Personally, I have a 5400RPM drive in my Asus M5N, and find it ideal for my needs, although battery life would be better with a 4200rpm drive, and performance adequate.

I'd be more concerned buying that crappy toshiba than what hdd it uses.

3. redeemer988

redeemer988 New Member

I've read some reviews on it and it seems like a good laptop. Not necessarily the best but good enough. Any specific reasons why you say it's crappy? And thanks for the reply.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in the many years I've done system repair, toshiba has consistantly released some of the worst notebooks on the market. Performance is very sub-par, and they have a horrible tendency to have the fans give out after warranty, rendering your notebook worthless after about 5 minutes of heating up.