hard drive space

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by torque_nut, Dec 22, 2006.

1. torque_nut

torque_nut New Member

Does anyone know why I have so little space? I have an 80 gig but says 74.21. well anyway, I have 15 gigs of music and my hard drive is saying I only have 37.6 gigs of space left. is there any program that can delete all duplicate files? i thought i already deleted everything but the space still seems weird still. Does anyone know what else could be taking up so much space? I don't have many programs installed on my computer either.

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

As for your first question, 74.21GB usable space is consistent with an 80GB HDD (My MBP's 80GB drive shows up as 74.21GB exactly). This just has to do with the definition of a kilobyte (1000 bytes vs 1024 bytes). All HDD's are advertised assuming 1KB = 1000bytes, however your computer/OS considers it to be 1024bytes). Anyways, that was easy. As for deleting duplicate files, I dunno what to tell ya. There may be an easy way. For my music, I just went through and made sure EVERY TRACK was properly tagged, then sorted them by song title, artist, etc until I located and deleted all the duplicates. Good luck :wavey:

3. torque_nut

torque_nut New Member

do you know how much space the actual operating system uses? I don't recall the number from when I first got my laptop

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

delete the extra printer drivers and language files. that will free up some space :bigok: