Hard Drive (Slave/Master) Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PhateX1337, Dec 26, 2004.

1. PhateX1337

PhateX1337 Guest

OK, first off Merry Christmas.
    Next, I got a new 160GB 8MB WD Hard Drive for Christmas, and I tried to install it today, however when I went to install it it kept giving me problems. My old hard drive is an IBM Deskstar 120GB 2MB and there are 4 options for the 2 jumpers that it has: Device 0 (Master); Device 1 (Slave); Cable Select; and Device 0 (Master) forcing Device 1 (Slave) present. I tried the plain master combo and the Device 0 forcing Device 1 present combo with the new WD set to slave (The WD has Master, Slave, and Master w/ Slave Present combos). The way the WD is set up it is confusing which side to put the jumper in to set it as slave, it shows the pic as the second from the last set of pins and when I set it to the second to last on one side, my computer boots fine however the new HD does not show up. However, when I have it set to second from the end on the other side of the pins, with the main IBM set to either setting, it goes into a second menu saying insert the CD to boot. I have never had any problems with my old main HD needing any CDs to boot so I figure its trying to read the new HD for windows and its not finding it, and that is where I get lost. Could someone please help me and show me where I'm going wrong, or if its time to RMA. Thanks a ton and merry christmas :)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

put both drives on "Cable Select" and then have the IBM (good luck with this drive not dying on you) on the END of the cable. The Western Digital should be on the MIDDLE connector.

Then boot the computer.

For Windows XP, you must initialize the drive. Here's how: Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" Open "Disk Management" and it will step you through initializing the drive. You need to right click the NEW drive, select format, and then go through those steps. I recommend NTFS and a "Quick Format".

3. PhateX1337

PhateX1337 Guest

Alright I got them both reading but now the 160GB WD is only showing up as a 127GB HDD, is there any way to fix this? Thanks a ton again :)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what OS are you using? Sounds like XP prior to SP2... Damn, you're WAAAAY out of date... Update your OS and reformat the drive.