Hard Drive Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I have a computer running Windows XP that is on its death throes. I am planning on buying another computer to replace it soon. My question is this: How can I take the hard drive of the dying computer (which is perfectly okay), and install and use it on the new computer? There is only one drive in the computer, so it would have all of the OS information as well. How does this work? Thanks!

2. HardTech

HardTech hungry

no. The reason being your current hard drive has all of the settings for your current computer, not your new computer.

Best thing to do would be to buy a new hard drive for your new computer, load windows or whatever OS, and slave your old hard drive to your new computer and transfer files like that

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I understand that I cannot simply swap hard drives like that. My desire is for it to be used as a slave like you said, so that I would have 2 hard drives on the new computer...can that be done with the OS still installed on it was the initial question.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

oh

yeah. If I were you, I'd first boot into the new hard drive only without the old HD being attached. Then, power down, attach the old HD, then boot up again. You shouldn't have any problems.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Okay thanks for the advice. Are there any special cabling/modifications that I need to look into? I'm getting a brand new Dell Dimension desktop, so I'm assuming I can install the old hard drive without much difficulty, correct?

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You really need to only look at the label on top of the old drive which tells you how to set the jumpers. Set the old drive to slave.

As for the Dell, look to see that you can add a new drive and that the IDE cable is made for 2 drives (3 connections total; 1-mobo 2-drives). If not you can hit up just about any computer store for an IDE cable.
    Unless the drives are SATA, that's a different story.