Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stemby, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

i have an external hard drive and yesterday it DIED for no reason it just started locking up. Thinking it was my machine i rebooted my machine and then it said it need to be formated. So i tried it as a slave on the IDE cable thinking that it was just a USB issue and SAME thing. Tried to run a scan disk on it and nothing.

any idea i really need the data off of it.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I doesn't sound good. If it can't tell that the disk is formatted, you're probably screwed. You might try specialized disk-recovery software, it's possible that the table of contents got screwed up but that the data itself is fine. If the hardware itself has failed, then there's no way you're getting any data off the disk.

3. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

any recomendation on a program? and i'm pretty sure the hardware is fine

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

First off, try using Computer Management inside the Administrative Tools section of Control Panel. There's a utility in there that shows you all the disks connected to your computer, whether or not you can see them in Explorer. I can't imagine why this would happen, but you might have to Import the disk before it will work again. I've had that happen with external SCSI drives at work. If the disk doesn't show up in there, you'll probably have to kiss it goodbye.

IBM used to make a program called GDisk, which was like FDisk with extra utilities built-in. One of those utilities could rebuild the table of contents on a disk without erasing the disk. I don't know if they still offer it.

As for free, easy-to-obtain software, I'm afraid I'm not much help. Try download.com; they have a no-spyware guarantee nowadays, anything you get there should at least be safe even if it doesn't do you any good.

Or maybe someone else here knows of such a program...