Hard Drive predicament

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fanatic, Oct 2, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I'm going to be getting another hard drive for my computer around Christmas time, and I'm kinda split as to what I want. It's between a 10k rpm 36.7 gig raptor, or a SATA 2.0 160 gig. I know the raptor will be faster, but what kind of speed increase will I be seeing?

I currently have just a Seagate SATA 160 gig hard drive with about 55 gigs left. It's not like I'm in need of a lot of storage space, but it's always nice to have a lot of space if you need it, so that's the reason why I'm torn between the two.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Get the 74GB Raptor. Its faster than the 36GB one. Make that your boot/apps drive and keep the 160 for storage.

3. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

Price is part of the problem. The 74 gig is about $65 dollars more (on newegg), unless I find a discount around Christmas time. I'm also going to be purchasing another gig of RAM around that time, so I'm already around $200 dollars and the less I can get it the better.

If I got the 36 gig it'd only be for Windows and other main programs, in which currently I only have a combined 15 gigs for my Windows and Program Files folder. One question I need to ask as well, does the 36.7 gigs include the size you lose when you format it to NTFS or will you lose another 5 gigs or so?